Discuss CSCS or ECS card how to and what to apply? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

albertc30

Hi all.

I have done my Level 2 electrical installations and am already to start my final second year on my level 3.

In order to gain some hands on experience by doing some free work with any local constructions site, I was told I first need to get my hands on an CSCS card to be allowed on site.

When I went to CSCS card they say electrical is done with an affiliate of theirs called ECS.

But there are so many options to choose from I am confused.

Which ECS card should I apply given my credentials?

Or am I better off just applying for a labourer CSCS card?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Regards,
Albert

if you go on j.i.b website it will tell you, u need a labouer ecs cscs card to do electrical work on site. a cscs card is for non electrical work,

if you go on j.i.b website it will tell you, u need a labouer ecs cscs card to do electrical work on site. a cscs card is for non electrical work,

I have been on the ECS website, my wife has been through the website looking for the needle in an haystack and not one of us can find a labourer ECS card.

All cards there seem to be for an ready qualified person.

Sorry but just can't find it. It's done my head in all day.

Thanks

Ecs will give you a "trainee" card (white I think)
Cscs will give you a green "labourer" card (formerly construction site operative)
Most sites (96%) will accept sparks with a cscs.
Only stupidly strict sites will require electrical trades to have ecs.
I only have a cscs card mainly because it was free but I'm holding out on ecs as I want to get my nvq first.

Contact them via email with list of your existing quals and what your doing now etc they will tell you what card you can apply for but it will probably be a trainee card

Cscs will give you a green "labourer" card (formerly construction site operative)
I only have a cscs card mainly because it was free but I'm holding out on ecs as I want to get my nvq first.
go for an ecs card mate.

with your quals i think you might get a trainee stage 2?

anyway, you can always have it updated at a later date, no one looks at the quals on the back.

the idiots in the office at site wouldnt know a lvl5 qual from a lvl2 by the course number.

some sites wont let people with a labourers card play with electrics

yeah apply for the provisional ECS card. looks better in the eyes of site agents. it will have 'trainee' on the bottom of the card but any big firm will not deny you access because they recognise the importance of quals!!!

Hi everyone.

Many thanks for all the great advice.

I have emailed them with my quals and et see what they say.

Many thanks again.

Regards,
Albert

go for an ecs card mate.

with your quals i think you might get a trainee stage 2?

anyway, you can always have it updated at a later date, no one looks at the quals on the back.

the idiots in the office at site wouldnt know a lvl5 qual from a lvl2 by the course number.

some sites wont let people with a labourers card play with electrics
I'll have my nvq in about 5-6months so I'll apply then and it'll be a shiny gold one!
Yeah that's true about site office idiots. The site manager on the job I'm on is younger than me and I'm only 27! Having said that tho a lot of things are wrong on this site, as of two weeks from now I'll be the senior electrician (well, the only one with one mate too) on site as the other spark is being put on another job, I've only been on this site a week with no prior commercial experience!!

The ECS website is confusing as funk - it sends you round in circles giving you conflicting information which leads me to believe they either don't know what they're doing or they're not taking it as seriously as we seem to.

The 'labourer' ECS card used to be known as 'Ancillary Operative'.
You won't get a 'trainee' card unless you've got the level 3 technical certificate.

Incidentally you won't get your NVQ3 certificate until you've got your level 3 technical certificate, so if you finish the NVQ before the technical certificate the chances are you'll never have a 'trainee' card.

Reply to CSCS or ECS card how to and what to apply? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net