Discuss Customer Demanding We Pay For Her Blinds ££££££ Need Serious Advice. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I don't think it's a big issue, see what the manufacturers say. She is trying it on.
Is there not another heater that you could fit that is not so tall?
Probably, but that's why I asked who chose the heaters in the first place, most people would have checked the clearances out, at least my Mrs would have, She would want chapter and verse as would her Twin Sister, and there was I thinking Twin Girls were cool. no chance, double trouble nearly 50 years experience of them believe me. it's no joke, just years of tearing my hair out.

Tell you whats funny though is as i was standing there, taking this grilling from 2 middle aged women about how iv "let them down" "feel so disappointed" "having sleepless nights in case i go up in flames" etc. in the next breath one of them tells me she wants loads of lights wired in a church, with more work to follow in her house and the other reminds me shes some sort of estate agent (hinting at she can get me work from else where)... yeah, even if thats true love, i think working for them is the last thing i will ever consider.

Has the customer paid for the heaters ?

If not then go back round remove all the heaters , put the old ones back on and leave the place tidy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably, but that's why I asked who chose the heaters in the first place, most people would have checked the clearances out, at least my Mrs would have, She would want chapter and verse as would her Twin Sister, and there was I thinking Twin Girls were cool. no chance, double trouble nearly 50 years experience of them believe me. it's no joke, just years of tearing my hair out.

In regards to the heaters, we brought the same ones we always buy in the correct KW to suit of course, and in all honesty i said i will admit that at the time the curtains where held back by them wall tie things, and it just didn't cross my mind, i hold my hands up to that.

In my experience over the years however iv seen FAR Worse, i went to one customers house that had a 4 seater leather sofa pushed up against one in the lounge, a chest of draws twice the height of the heater against it in the bedroom and in the back room had floor length curtains draped over the thing...

In my head i know that the chances are ofc very remote something would ever come of this, but since the manual states it should be 250mm they wont have any of it.
[automerge]1568404840[/automerge]
Has the customer paid for the heaters ?

If not then go back round remove all the heaters , put the old ones back on and leave the place tidy
[automerge]1568404500[/automerge]
Oh...

And send her a link to this video for her to watch

Unfortunately the old ones have been scrapped and no she still owes us about 3 thousand pound... (not just for the heaters ofc, we replaced two consumer uints as well)

In regards to the heaters, we brought the same ones we always buy in the correct KW to suit of course, and in all honesty i said i will admit that at the time the curtains where held back by them wall tie things, and it just didn't cross my mind, i hold my hands up to that.

In my experience over the years however iv seen FAR Worse, i went to one customers house that had a 4 seater leather sofa pushed up against one in the lounge, a chest of draws twice the height of the heater against it in the bedroom and in the back room had floor length curtains draped over the thing...

In my head i know that the chances are ofc very remote something would ever come of this, but since the manual states it should be 250mm they wont have any of it.
[automerge]1568404840[/automerge]

Unfortunately the old ones have been scrapped and no she still owes us about 3 thousand pound... (not just for the heaters ofc, we replaced two consumer uints as well)

Sounds like a job for a solicitor then

Tell you whats funny though is as i was standing there, taking this grilling from 2 middle aged women about how iv "let them down" "feel so disappointed" "having sleepless nights in case i go up in flames" etc. in the next breath one of them tells me she wants loads of lights wired in a church, with more work to follow in her house and the other reminds me shes some sort of estate agent (hinting at she can get me work from else where)... yeah, even if thats true love, i think working for them is the last thing i will ever consider.
They're at it for sure. The promise of work is designed to make you roll over as is the emotional outburst.

Take the advice and have everything in writing from now on. From both sides.

What is the distance from the bottom of the window sill to the top of the heater?

I wanna say from memory about 5 inchs so 130mm ish (i should have it written down in the van) the heater from Floor level is 29 inches (740mm) tall, yet to find one shorter than that of the new style.
[automerge]1568405484[/automerge]
They're at it for sure. The promise of work is designed to make you roll over as is the emotional outburst.

Take the advice and have everything in writing from now on. From both sides.

Yeah you live and learn even after all these years, didn't expect it form a church go'er but then again its normally the ones you least expect.

I once had a woman try it on. Asked me to put up two light fittings in the kitchen and diner and some other bits.
She kept encouraging me, multiple times, to use her dining chairs to stand on for the ceiling lights instead of my steps. It's ok she said, I'm throwing them out tomorrow we are getting some new ones. I still declined.
Calls me the next day, you owe me £600 for new dining chairs as you must have scratched the back of one with your toolbox. Thought you were throwing them out anyway ? Yeah well. Not now.

Told her no chance over a few phone calls and emails and she eventually went away. Like a bad smell.

Once you have the written request from them,
Depending on the content the next thing I would be doing is removing the heater by the window.
Remove it from the bill and send them the final invoice.
Stating that as per discussions a heater of that type can’t be fitted under the window until the customer has removed the hanging drapes.

Do this right, by the book and in writing.
The court is likely to be your friend in this case.

Obviously her old heater is probably on a scrap yard or being turned into bean cans right about now, so if i remove the heater i supplied i still owe her a replacement heater to match the same as she had before surely? I guess id have to find a old style one from some where, since they dont make them anymore.
My point is that she asked you to replace heaters, you have done that, she really not going to have a heater in the lounge, all she needs to do is tell you where it is going. She will need to move the mirror or make some concessions but that is not your concern. Hold your ground.

Once you have the written request from them,
Depending on the content the next thing I would be doing is removing the heater by the window.
Remove it from the bill and send them the final invoice.
Stating that as per discussions a heater of that type can’t be fitted under the window until the customer has removed the hanging drapes.

Do this right, by the book and in writing.
The court is likely to be your friend in this case.

I would like to do this, however when i brought the topic up of removing the heater so she doesn't 'worry about it' shes then repeatedly started saying "No, no, you cant do that, what will i do for heat, you cant leave me with no heating, you need to fix this, winter is coming and i cant go without" i replied with "i will find you a replacement that matches the one you had before" she then cut me off saying "thats no good! i want energy efficient ones, nope, no, thats not an option"

and so on, i doubt very much she would willingly give me access to her house to remove my heater...
[automerge]1568406420[/automerge]
I once had a woman try it on. Asked me to put up two light fittings in the kitchen and diner and some other bits.
She kept encouraging me, multiple times, to use her dining chairs to stand on for the ceiling lights instead of my steps. It's ok she said, I'm throwing them out tomorrow we are getting some new ones. I still declined.
Calls me the next day, you owe me £600 for new dining chairs as you must have scratched the back of one with your toolbox. Thought you were throwing them out anyway ? Yeah well. Not now.

Told her no chance over a few phone calls and emails and she eventually went away. Like a bad smell.

Mate! i swear if we didn't have to deal with customers this job would be easy...
[automerge]1568406608[/automerge]
My point is that she asked you to replace heaters, you have done that, she really not going to have a heater in the lounge, all she needs to do is tell you where it is going. She will need to move the mirror or make some concessions but that is not your concern. Hold your ground.

Yeah, okay i understand what your saying, its hard though, you get one complaint and it can ruin your reputation, im trying to tip toe around this as much as possible.

The woman seems to have a skill in amateur dramatics and you have bitten hard
This is not something that you are going to resolve by yourself

Take the advice given in post 26 and engage a solicitor to act from herein

Hi - sorry to hear of your troubles. I’m thinking that if it turns out the new heaters really shouldn’t be placed there and Customer won’t permit them anywhere else, then perhaps the old heaters just need to go back - and you were never there. Not practical, I know as the old ones are probably in the bin.

I heard of a claim like this in a social housing contract,

The guy investigating it contacted the manufacturer re the clearance height where they confirmed the measurements in installation manual.

He asked what the risk of fire was with the temperature of the convected air and they couldn't confirm that it could cause a fire ie no real testing data as they can't recreate every scenario
The issues it seemed were more about claims for damage to furnishings ie paint , wallpaper and curtains deteriorating from the heat but they had to cover themselves for people burying the heaters under material and furniture etc in case something did happen.

Obviously some materials can give off volatile fumes when heated, although I don't know if this could apply to the above

I don't know if he got anything on paper stating this but nothing was changed and the heater stayed.

I know fires can be caused by faulty electrical storage heaters but I've not heard of a case where it was proven that the heated air from a storage heater caused a fire...

Reply to Customer Demanding We Pay For Her Blinds ££££££ Need Serious Advice. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net