Discuss Did a Level 2 2330 in 2009..... in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

johnc86

Hi. I am looking to get into the trade and I'm a bit baffled as to where to start. I did a Level 2 2330 in 2009. Due to personal circumstances I didn't end up doing the Level 3 or anything else to do with the industry. I currently work full time in an admin type job which I hate!
I'm in the position now where Id like to retrain and Id really like to be an electrician.
At 28 I think I'm to old for an apprenticeship. In theory I should still be able to get one but Iv applied for loads and keep getting knocked back.
I am prepared to put in as much effort as it takes to get where I want to be. I'm just not sure how to go about getting there.
I'v thought about going back to college to do the level 3 equivalent of the 2330. Would there be any point to this?
What would people recommend to someone in my position?

Thanks for any replies.

Best advice I can give is wait till January then buy a copy of the regs (yellow cover I think it will be) get your 17th and get a job as a mate with an agency. Build up experience then go for nvq

they discontinude the 2330 course.

it is now the 2365 I think.

you would be better off waiting till you can find someone to take you on for 2357 because this course is the tech cert and the nvq

Is it likely that someone would take me on at 28? Iv applied for loads through the national apprenticeship web site. They all say I pass the criteria but I was unsuccessful.

I'd speak to your local college - if you've already done the level 2 they might let you start the 2365 level 3, or do the whole 2365 in 2 years instead of 3.
When I was at college they always gave priority to students coming straight from the previous year, so you might have to hope someone drops out so you can take their place.

I agree with amckay in that agency work is probably the way forward - I started training at 26 and that's what I did.

I'd speak to your local college - if you've already done the level 2 they might let you start the 2365 level 3, or do the whole 2365 in 2 years instead of 3.
When I was at college they always gave priority to students coming straight from the previous year, so you might have to hope someone drops out so you can take their place.

I agree with amckay in that agency work is probably the way forward - I started training at 26 and that's what I did.

Cheers.

the 2365 will only take him a year.

I did the 2330 level 2 then level 3 and now 2357.

the 2356 would only take 3 years if he was doing level 1,2 and 3

the 2365 will only take him a year.

I did the 2330 level 2 then level 3 and now 2357.

the 2356 would only take 3 years if he was doing level 1,2 and 3
I don't know about the 2365 but when I was doing the 2330 a couple of guys started in the second year who had already done the 2360 level 2 several years beforehand. Because they were transferring to a different course and had left it a few years they still had to resit the level 2 exam, but they got to skip the first year the second time around, so it took them a total of 4 years instead of the usual 3.

As I said, it'd be worth speaking to the college.

I don't know about the 2365 but when I was doing the 2330 a couple of guys started in the second year who had already done the 2360 level 2 several years beforehand. Because they were transferring to a different course and had left it a few years they still had to resit the level 2 exam, but they got to skip the first year the second time around, so it took them a total of 4 years instead of the usual 3.

As I said, it'd be worth speaking to the college.
I think it depends on the college.

I finished 2330 lvl3 around 2012ish.

I had to do a couple environmental units in 2357 but that was it.

the main difference between 2356 and 2330 really is renewables in my opinion

Reply to Did a Level 2 2330 in 2009..... in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net