Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Here's one. Job I looked at just today. 16amp breaker protecting a 1.5mm socket radial. At least they tried!

Attachments

• IMG_20210112_134347.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 108
But equally it seems strange to have dangling Henleys and the external meter when they could have got the meter kit for the Hager board...
That's assuming they knew such a thing was available. I've come across a few sparkys who have no idea what's available - and won't enquire. One example :
I was doing a network install for a client, and their contractor's sparks was doing the dado trunking - some rather nice Rehau stuff. I quite likes some of the details, like the way the lid for the bottom section was integral to the back, so formed a tray that cables would stay in by gravity rather than the usual faff trying to get the cables to stay put while you get the bottom cover on.
On one run I had to fit 24 network cables plus a 10 pair phone cable in, and he'd left me just the small section at the top - while using all the rest for 2xRFCs (4off 2.5mm T&E) and a 10mm bonding cable ? First thing he was 110% certain of was that only the mains can go in the middle/bottom section and network cables must go in the top section - otherwise they aren't isolated. Apparently, the plastic used in this trunking only insulated one way round ?
So I mentioned adding a divider to make it into 3 section trunking. "Doesn't exist" he stated with complete authority. Unfortunately, back then I still had a rather basic phone, and that together with a poor signal meant I couldn't look it up on site - to find that yes, they do in fact do a divider. Had I known I'd have just insisted on getting the divider, but not being able to say "yes it exists" there and then, there wasn't enough time without holding the whole job up.
Luckily there was an alternative route I could take the phone cable, it was just more work.

TBH, his workmanship was top notch, he was just an idiot who didn't understand how sectioned trunking works or what's available.

And for good measure, he said "it must be nice when someone else does all the hard work for you". In a rare case of self control (bear in mind I'm autistic and tend to say exactly what I'm thinking), I managed not to give him some rather painful instructions as to what he could do to himself.

some diy disasters for your viewing pleasure.IMG_20210120_1036128.jpg
This one is from a factory how many bodges!
IMG_20210121_1017078.jpg
Mm earth not long enough then!
IMG_20210121_1034371.jpg
Yes that is 1.5mm t&e into .75mm flex from a 30a ring final?
IMG_20210121_1230438.jpg
Same again mix of .75 and 1mm flex feeding multiple socket outlets all off 3036 30a fuse!
IMG_20210121_1459463.jpg
Pond spaghetti anyone, all outside in a dripping wet brick pillar no rcd all in 1.5 t&e no earth connected and the black flex was cut off in the garden still live inches from metal railings around the pond. Lethal! All this was also from 3036 30a fuse. Not any more all removed!
Sy

Last edited:
some diy disasters for your viewing pleasure.View attachment 63983
This one is from a factory how many bodges!
View attachment 63984
Mm earth not long enough then!
View attachment 63985
Yes that is 1.5mm t&e into .75mm flex from a 30a ring final?
View attachment 63986
Same again mix of .75 and 1mm flex feeding multiple socket outlets all off 3036 30a fuse!
View attachment 63987
Pond spaghetti anyone, all outside in a dripping wet brick pillar no rcd all in 1.5 t&e no earth connected and the black flex was cut off in the garden still live inches from metal railings around the pond. Lethal! All this was also from 3036 30a fuse. Not any more all removed!
Sy
Good haul, remind me not to visit.

Got 9 bollards with a 0.08 N-E IR, all jointed underground with a flex coming through a concrete block. Mini digger coming tomorrow to break the lot of these out and to be re done in proper torpedos , or where possible both armoured brought into the new bollards. Installation less than 3 years old

yes that is a flex through a SWA gland with some tape to thicken it up.

Attachments

• 1567B65E-B101-4FE7-A1A9-3F8AF4399B67.jpeg
    933 KB · Views: 89
  • FDB45BE7-FC19-4278-BBDD-1B2B11264AF9.jpeg
    537.5 KB · Views: 88
  • DF19A016-F66C-456F-A9E6-8A75B75FDAFC.jpeg
    864.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 984AA043-68D2-4B9C-A897-45D272BBE648.jpeg
    831 KB · Views: 93

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock