• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

19 strand tails are now, finally, widely available so there is no need to be fighting with 7 strand 24mm tails.
Thats interesting, I wonder if they have reduced the amount of Copper.?
Just this afternoon, I was working on an 80 amp caravan hookup supply.
The original installers, many years ago, fitted a 100amp isolator and an 80 amp cartridge assembly (it used to melt the holder regular) now has a time delay RCD and a type C MCB.
Still upgrading the individual hook up points, as they are ancient. So I thought I would start at the source end first.
I expect it will trip regular due to overload by the campers, but its better than replacing a melted carrier every time, (they stink when burning). They will have to do without their space heaters at 2 to 3 kw at a time.! It has 25m tails, so was the usual struggle.

Thats interesting, I wonder if they have reduced the amount of Copper.?

No they haven't reduced the amount of copper, they wouldn't be 25mm if they had.

They have increased the number of strands therfore made the cable more flexible.
[automerge]1590704123[/automerge]
Thats interesting, I wonder if they have
The original installers, many years ago, fitted a 100amp isolator and an 80 amp cartridge assembly (it used to melt the holder regular) now has a time delay RCD and a type C MCB.

That is not the correct soloution to the problem, either a reduction of the load or a larger supply is required, changing the fuse for an MCB will not solve the problem.

By fitting an MCB in place of the fuse you have made the discrimination (selectivity) worse. Also the regular overloading of the MCB will cause the thermal element in it to suffer damage and probably cause the MCB to trip more readily or cause it to fail completely.
[automerge]1590704268[/automerge]
Just a shame they don't offer SWA with 19-strand cores for sized above 10mm/16mm or so :(

I dont really see a need for it, the overall flexibility of the cable won't be helped as this will be governed by the steel armour.
As long as you use decent switchgear and good installation practices then there is normally no issue working with 25mm or 35mm (50mm and up is 19 strand)

Last edited:
No they haven't reduced the amount of copper, they wouldn't be 25mm if they had.

They have increased the number of strands therfore made the cable more flexible.
[automerge]1590704123[/automerge]

That is not the correct soloution to the problem, either a reduction of the load or a larger supply is required, changing the fuse for an MCB will not solve the problem.

By fitting an MCB in place of the fuse you have made the discrimination (selectivity) worse. Also the regular overloading of the MCB will cause the thermal element in it to suffer damage and probably cause the MCB to trip more readily or cause it to fail completely.
[automerge]1590704268[/automerge]

I dont really see a need for it, the overall flexibility of the cable won't be helped as this will be governed by the steel armour.
As long as you use decent switchgear and good installation practices then there is normally no issue working with 25mm or 35mm (50mm and up is 19 strand)
I forgot to mention, the reduction of the load was another recomendation I made last year, so they have cut the big rallies down to fewer vans and an option for no hook ups camping areas.

A couple from the same house.
Customer asked me to look at the shower switch. “It tripped the breaker, so I changed the switch cos it looked a bit black, but the new one tripped it as well”

10mm into a 1 gang box, and too much cable. I had to cut 3” off all cores to make it tidy.
Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! 86718921-39CD-4572-91B7-D1B0E3014421 - EletriciansForums.net

And I was driving away down their lengthy driveway.... there’s 7 or 8 of these lights. And I think that’s 2.5 t&e

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! 2B3E67FD-72C9-43B7-812B-947C19AB8A2B - EletriciansForums.net

i like the way that outdoor T&E blends seamlessly into the background...clearly a case of aesthetics winning over good practice...
I can't see many clips...they are obviously so well disguised too!
There were clips.... about one every metre or so. I wouldn’t be surprised if the lights were stuck to the wall with silicon.... not easy to drill into that stonework.

Christ, what a day.
Bathroom first fix. In the dirtiest loft with about 20 inches of black insulation.

Doing all my tests at the supply end at the end of it. Spot a cable hanging out of a old meter, just cut off. Still live. Been like that for over 20 years.

The kitchen was done 5 years ago, the guy who did it didn’t notice the obvious danger slapping him in the face. Also the dopey -----, disconnected the TT rod And left the cable floating in the mains board, cracked out poorly the service head earth bar and did a DIY PME. Now, I know this area and PME isn’t available, hmmmm. Turns out Zdb with bonding connected is 10.2 Ohms. True Ze of his DIY PME >999 Ohms. So the only path to earth was through the Water and Oil bonding he had at least installed.

Didn’t even bother labelling his own new circuits in the classic proteus board that was installed.

I’ve had a bad day.

Attachments

• Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! EC9D8C6E-C250-4723-8836-1D950F08EC4E - EletriciansForums.net
    EC9D8C6E-C250-4723-8836-1D950F08EC4E.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 98
I have got used to fighting with SWA, its 25mm tails I dislike, it nearly needs a blowlamp to make it bendable
Shhh, don't tell anyone, there's stuff called 6381Y. Needs ferrules, but doddle to work with. Biggest problem is that very few places have even heard of it, let alone stock it.

Think CEF list it, I've only seen it in DC colours though.
DC colours are either brown and blue or grey and blue dependant upon polarity.

As an aside a lot of DNO/suppliers don’t allow the use of tri-rated cables as their equipment terminals aren’t designed for fine stranded cables even with ferrules.

The 19 strand tails are a lot easier to work with.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back