Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

That would also apply to the terminal screws, but we do those up with our torque driver don't we. 🤔
Terminals are usually brass so little risk of corrosion in any sane environment.

There reverse is more reasonable, if the accessories is earthed by the CPC then the back-box is acceptably so via the screws, also normally you can't touch that.

Stop, Hammer time!

Terminals are usually brass so little risk of corrosion in any sane environment.
There reverse is more reasonable, if the accessories is earthed by the CPC then the back-box is acceptably so via the screws, also normally you can't touch that.
Stop, Hammer time!
Yep, no matter what, the accessory should be earthed. Touch point is important. The back box is the secondary, although, in most cases, IMO, it should also be cable connected.
Why do accessories and boxes both have earth connection points, anyway?

A builder we do work for is building a kitchen extension, I know he has done electrical work himself in the past before I knew him as half his house has "DIY" electrics all over the show. So we are wiring the kitchen/diner/utility for him, last time we were there the kitchen was 2nd fixed and the utility was 1st fixed, we turned up on Friday and he had taken it upon himself to move all the sockets we 1st fixed into new positions as he changed his mind, not only that he got it plastered and he second fixed it himself, All he wanted us to do was swap the fronts for chrome (oh and a cert).

Firstly he said the screws didn't quite reach so he got longer screws but they were too long so when he tightened one of them it ripped the lug of one of the boxes, when I removed the fronts I was this. as you can see, no grommets, way too short and stripped back with a machete. Can you imagine the pain it caused trying to sort that out, wonder if he has adhered to safe zones.

Attachments

• IMG_20230512_152313_512.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20230512_152139_624.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 67
This is so typical of builders wiring , roughly installed , stripped with an axe, cores all twisted up and bent and all mangled terminations.
We find this type of brand New install all of the time , literally all of the time.
I honestly think they just don't give a ---- , even in their own house

I went to second fix a kitchen I had wired a while ago and some sockets weren't where I had pictures of them. The Builder had moved them over and finished the wall! It was very quickly unfinshed by me and a chisel, especially after seeing the state of the cable sheath and insulation at the socket and the brand new twin KO box! Looked like he had used a claw hammer to remove it rather than a screwdriver!
The standards of some are very very sloppy indeed!

Firstly he said the screws didn't quite reach so he got longer screws but they were too long so when he tightened one of them it ripped the lug of one of the boxes, when I removed the fronts I was this. as you can see, no grommets, way too short and stripped back with a machete. Can you imagine the pain it caused trying to sort that out, wonder if he has adhered to safe zones.
He's interfered with your installation without even informing you, besides ferkin' it up completely. I definitely would not sign off a certificate for that.
He can Part Pee off.

Had a call out on Sunday. RCD kept tripping (upfront RCD) so no power to any circuits. Asked them to try all circuits off and then try each circuit one by one to see which caused the trip whilst on the phone. However even with everything off the RCD wouldn't stay on. So either a faulty RCD (not impossible as an old board) or a N-E fault (more likely). So off I went.

Found the issue was the downstairs socket circuit and as no electrical work has been done for about 4yrs I started taking off sockets in the most recent area, which was the kitchen. IR test was showing a dead short N-E (which was already obvious given the RCD would not stay on as soon as the neutral to this circuit was connected)

Found this cracking kitchen fitters install, particularly impressed with the twist in the conductors as they have rotated the socket a couple of times. There is a feed taken from this socket to a socket under the sink for the dishwasher, all just ran loose on the floor, it was then linked through via the wagobox into a socket in the dining room.

IMG_1490.jpeg

IMG_1492.jpeg
IMG_1491.jpeg

I disconnected this lot yet the RCD still wouldn't turn on. So a bit of head scratching and then I started taking off the socket fronts of all the other sockets on the circuit (17 in all).

I then found this in a socket in the lounge at the opposite end of the house to the kitchen.

IMG_1495.jpeg

It was an incredible coincidence that this and the kitchen fitter special caused a fault at the same time. The lounge socket was causing an issue with the neutral touching the back box. But even when that was sorted I still had a fault. Disconnected the kitchen special and circuit remained energised. Repaired the damaged neutral sleeving with a couple of layers of heat shrink. Also reterminated the live. There is a dead short N-E fault on the kitchen special wiring which I am guessing is behind the cabinet somewhere and has developed over time to the point it now links N-E.

Kitchen is getting a refurb in a couple of months so that's bonus as they now want me to do the electrical work for it.

Cables slung under the units and a wago box joint is pretty normal these days , heck I even run cables under the units in some pipe or flexi if the customer doesn't want to pay to have it all chased in.
But the terminating of the socket and all the torn up sheathing is just rough as a badgers

Cables slung under the units and a wago box joint is pretty normal these days , heck I even run cables under the units in some pipe or flexi if the customer doesn't want to pay to have it all chased in.
But the terminating of the socket and all the torn up sheathing is just rough as a badgers
Apparently it was all done when the el cheapo kitchen cupboards were added about 4-5yrs ago. I can't understand why they didn't use the service void and some trunking if that was the case.

Apparently it was all done when the el cheapo kitchen cupboards were added about 4-5yrs ago. I can't understand why they didn't use the service void and some trunking if that was the case.
Yes in a perfect world you can screw some plastic trunking on the wall and run any cables in prior to the units being installed.
However on many an occasion I get a call at the last minute saying 'please can you pop round and put in some new sockets in our new kitchen' to find the kitchen is all but 99% installed and I am having to fish cables under the units and carefully chase up behind the brand new worktops that were just laid last week

Yes in a perfect world you can screw some plastic trunking on the wall and run any cables in prior to the units being installed.
However on many an occasion I get a call at the last minute saying 'please can you pop round and put in some new sockets in our new kitchen' to find the kitchen is all but 99% installed and I am having to fish cables under the units and carefully chase up behind the brand new worktops that were just laid last week
That was a bit like one I had a while ago.

'Can we have some additional sockets and lights fitted?"

Walls were all tiled from worktop to ceiling and they had one pendant in the centre and wanted downlights and 3 separate pendants over the dining table.

I managed it with a lot of patience and the help of quinetic switching. But they were under no illusion I couldn't guarantee no breaks in the tiles or additional holes in the newly plastered and painted ceiling.

I then found this in a socket in the lounge at the opposite end of the house to the kitchen.

View attachment 108155
That black and red looks like it might be polythene T&E, which was made for a short time between after rubber and before PVC.
Splits along the length of the wire are common with this stuff.

I get that with kitchens as well. Doing one just now where the customer isn’t in a great hurry… the old cabinets are being taken out wall by wall, and I get in inbetween to do any electrical work.

Wago box behind the kickboard ends up being the only option sometimes. The joiner is coming unannounced in the evenings, so I get a text the day after, then have to reorganise planned work to get in before he comes back.

Last week I uncovered a floor hatch, thinking that’s going to make my life easier… just for the gas fitter to come before I got back. (The joiner couldn’t find it at first even though it has “hatch” written all over it!)

Still room, but I’ve got a dicky knee and they’re only 12” space down there.
I don’t bend like I used to.

IMG_3834.jpeg

This is so typical of builders wiring , roughly installed , stripped with an axe, cores all twisted up and bent and all mangled terminations.
We find this type of brand New install all of the time , literally all of the time.
I honestly think they just don't give a ---- , even in their own house
Pmsl

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock