Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Doing some alterations to a ring as part of a refit.

In the center of the room was trailing socket that had been fitted to a pedestal desk, just lying on the floor, to be dealt with later.

Anyway opened up the ring on a wall socket, being a good boy and testing before butchering, and did some end to ends r1 and rN fine r2 was like a roller coaster up and down from open circuit to 2.0 Ohms.

Checked the leads, checked the crocs, looked at the CPCs, all ?

It was almost as if me moving was affecting the reading, hang on..

Under my foot was the T&E of the trailing socket..

20200819_114407.jpg

Who'd ha thunk it?

Doing some alterations to a ring as part of a refit.

In the center of the room was trailing socket that had been fitted to a pedestal desk, just lying on the floor, to be dealt with later.

Anyway opened up the ring on a wall socket, being a good boy and testing before butchering, and did some end to ends r1 and rN fine r2 was like a roller coaster up and down from open circuit to 2.0 Ohms.

Checked the leads, checked the crocs, looked at the CPCs, all ?

It was almost as if me moving was affecting the reading, hang on..

Under my foot was the T&E of the trailing socket..

View attachment 60250

Who'd ha thunk it?
nice earth sleeve, I did tell the customer that it was ok to use and i would be back next week to test and issue the cert when they had installed the desk but they never called me back. was it my £421 bill that upset them??

Single Handedly the sketchyisy s**t I’ve found this year !! The rest of the property matched the workmanship if anyone was wondering ?

Attachments

• 3975AFA2-232F-4D21-B643-414162E20723.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 179
  • 4EABF41B-98B5-40EB-B5AD-023BA84F6FD3.jpeg
    62.1 KB · Views: 196
This is in a small precinct car park. Consumer unit and contactor enclosure replaced, aside from being a lash up there are no cpcs from the dist board. Zs at lighting columns 16.33 ohm.View attachment 60376
to say that that was as rough as a badger's arse would be insulting to badgers.

That is rough and some , plain old rough as you like...proper Badgers

I would be ashamed to leave an installation in that state

I also hate those copper busbars that Saddle underneath the neutral , but that is more manufacturer Roughness than installer roughness...

That is rough and some , plain old rough as you like...proper Badgers

I would be ashamed to leave an installation in that state

I also hate those copper busbars that Saddle underneath the neutral , but that is more manufacturer Roughness than installer roughness...
I have no idea why they need to do that. The main switch could have the L on the inside, next to the MCB, then the busbar doesn't need to go round behind the N connection.
Probably some legacy arrangement for incomer arrangements. Maybe I'll ask Schneider, do you think they'll know the answer?;)

My WAG would be that their main switches have L on the right (because that's what a previous product needed), so L has to be on the right. Now, it's not worth the extra cost having two versions of the main switch - and they decided that it would be cheaper to just include the saddle in the busbar. It's not just a case of changing the printing - it's another SKU to manage right through the supply chain. And you can guarantee that some sparky would need a new main switch and have the wrong one in his van - with the obvious result that someone ends up with a wrongly labelled main switch.
Now sits back and waits for someone to point out that their catalogue already holds a "L on left" main switch :rolleyes:

Just as a thought ...
When people come across stuff like this, do you ever report it as dangerous ? The lack of CPCs in that bodge surely warrants a report to HSE ?
Even if the bodger didn't put their name to it, the responsible person in charge of the car park would be responsible for having employed a competent electrician - it would fall on the RP to identify the sparky concerned even if said sparky didn't put his name on it and has since gone on an extended holiday to incommunicado.
But I guess after a few years the sparky would just claim "it was OK when I left it, someone must have nicked the CPCs to weigh them in" :rolleyes:

They are all two core bar the one with the yellow conductor which was a cpc, it now floats on a block connector within the contactor enclosure.

Trunking just behind a gas hob
And when it was changed to gas, connections were just cut, the 45A switch was on when I arrived, live conductors millimetres from the metal oven housing.

Edit... don’t worry though, this happened before a 2017 satisfactory condition report which didn’t pick it up ?

Attachments

• D83B4739-874D-4113-BB6E-2606BAB9B877.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 0AF78DF3-C905-4DA1-A999-33153A99EC95.png
    705.6 KB · Views: 110
  • C4AC3868-0BC9-48BE-BB39-AC634A7AB863.png
    603.9 KB · Views: 110
I've never seen contactors for anything but a DOL what are there purpose?

Contactors are used where you don't want, or can't have, the full load running through a switch, or when multiple circuits need to be switched by a single device.

Contactors allow a low current switch to control a much bigger load.

Contactors are also used to make remote switching easier by avoiding significant volt drop in the switch cable.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock