Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I had this sort of thing at a friends old house a few years ago - dead short that just made no sense, lifted boards and could physically see end to end the section of cable in question, undisturbed for 30 years. New length drawn in, examine the old..... after peeling off the outer sheath it revealed a manufacturing defect internally, one of the conductors was missing about 3mm of insulation. No idea how it had suddenly come to light after all that time.
Thanks for the heads up. I really hope for the customer that isn’t the case as it will be a nightmare for them. High end kitchen in place since it was done in 2012.

Somebody had previously put heatshrink to low on the lug resulting in two phases getting very hot!

PXL_20220908_232536875.jpg

PXL_20220908_232522052.jpg

Cleaned up and put back

PXL_20220909_003954622.jpg

Umm, that’s not how you do 2 way wiring for a downstairs to upstairs switch…. 😂😂

Couple phoned as they moved in just and every time they turned the lights on for the hall or landing at the bottom 2 gang or upstairs 1 gang both light circuits tripped.

Upstairs 1 gang

5E73CE5F-CCC3-4D70-B6AB-80AEFF4D7F06.jpeg

Downstairs 2 Gang

E492ACDD-9057-4D50-8719-6CC689BB3F77.jpeg

1B240B6F-EFA9-4672-98B4-B7188F4A851F.jpeg

Upstairs after

3EBFECD6-727D-4A46-BEB2-7D9581D99D6F.jpeg

Downstairs after

EF4E8C2C-93BF-47AC-BDDD-CE049A7D6EDF.jpeg

07770211-23EF-4B12-ADC0-01054FC4AB86.jpeg

Its tricky when you keep uncovering things not related to the main task, I found this mess in the same property. It takes longer to trace when it lacks logic too.
There's a brown core used as a neutral feeding some under cabinet lights with the line from elsewhere, I'll need to check it's not connected to another circuit when I do second fix. All lighting is on one breaker, perhaps this is why.

PXL_20220908_124546073.jpg

PXL_20220908_140351660.jpg

PXL_20220908_134833021.jpg

PXL_20220908_135321220.jpg

Its tricky when you keep uncovering things not related to the main task, I found this mess in the same property. It takes longer to trace when it lacks logic too.
There's a brown core used as a neutral feeding some under cabinet lights with the line from elsewhere, I'll need to check it's not connected to another circuit when I do second fix. All lighting is on one breaker, perhaps this is why.

View attachment 101493

View attachment 101494
View attachment 101495
View attachment 101496

Reckon there could have been kitchen fitters in the vicinity, or what? 😏

Reckon there could have been kitchen fitters in the vicinity, or what? 😏
I would had liked to have blamed them but the old spots in the bathroom were the same odd methods (t&e used as singles, stripped sheath and leaving the earth intact) and the singles were run to the landing light. Shame as the original wiring looks neat, clips in the loft and sleeving seems to have been used.

Suppose he could have been a kitchen fitter...

The (presumably) lighting multi way connection box, I like, and have used on many occasions, but WHY did they mount it right down on the deck like that. Surely a couple of metres of extra T&E to get it up to a comfortable working height wouldn't have broken the budget.

The (presumably) lighting multi way connection box, I like, and have used on many occasions, but WHY did they mount it right down on the deck like that. Surely a couple of metres of extra T&E to get it up to a comfortable working height wouldn't have broken the budget.
The wago XL and light box were me, the XL could have perhaps been a little higher, some cables were short though. I would assume there was a round JB there at one point. The deblock box was also me as those cables didn't reach at all and hopefully, its rewired to the XL when the kitchens done.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock