Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Clearly wrong! It is the black that we are told should be G/Y over-sleeved!
(sarcasm, in case anyone takes me seriously)

Out of interest (to a trainee), what is accepted practice when using phase colours in a single phase installation?

When using 3 core for lighting, clearly it's grey sleeved as neutral and black sleeved as switched live, but what about a submain in SWA?

Out of interest (to a trainee), what is accepted practice when using phase colours in a single phase installation?

When using 3 core for lighting, clearly it's grey sleeved as neutral and black sleeved as switched live, but what about a submain in SWA?
Doesn't matter at all provided it is correctly identified BS7671 does not suggest which one is x, y or z.

Doesn't matter at all provided it is correctly identified BS7671 does not suggest which one is x, y or z.

I couldn't find a regulation that prohibited the use of any correctly identified conductor, but I don't always find the reg I'm looking for on the first attempt.

The previous posts confused me and had me thinking the issue was which conductor had been used as earth, rather than the fact that blue was used as L3.

There is a general convention to use black as CPC and grey as neutral in a 3 core SWA.

People will give you some daft reasons for this, 'de-neutralising' is one nonsense phrase often bandied around, but there is no rule or regulation for this.

The sensible reason to follow this convention is that it uses the same cores as befire the colour change. Core 1 live (red - brown), core 2 CPC (yellow - black), core 3 neutral (blue - grey)

I couldn't find a regulation that prohibited the use of any correctly identified conductor, but I don't always find the reg I'm looking for on the first attempt.
The only prohibited over-sleeving is the use of G/Y cable. That used to be the case for singles but it was ambiguous if it was allowed for multi-core cables, but now with AM2 it has been clarified that you never use G/Y cable for anything other than a CPC.

Which makes a lot of sense!
The previous posts confused me and had me thinking the issue was which conductor had been used as earth, rather than the fact that blue was used as L3.
No it was the fact they already had the 3 phase line colours there, but over-sleeved one of the lines as CPC and failed to over-sleeve the neutral when used as a line.

There is this diagram in the regs that shows how the colours have changed… (not original, I had to Google this)

It’s there in black and white…. Or brown black grey…. Whatever.

4975828B-CC62-482B-B314-FD993CE9D4A8.jpeg

In the case of 3ph, no neutral… then the blue, over sleeved in g/y (at both ends) is the only solution… or use 5 core that has a g/y

There is this diagram in the regs that shows how the colours have changed… (not original, I had to Google this)

It’s there in black and white…. Or brown black grey…. Whatever.

View attachment 102797

In the case of 3ph, no neutral… then the blue, over sleeved in g/y (at both ends) is the only solution… or use 5 core that has a g/y

A significant amount of the work I do is on 3 phase installations and old colours are a fairly regular occurrence, although only once have I encountered RWB. The comment from @pc1966 made me wonder if a convention existed regarding unacceptable practice where oversleeving is concerned and I lost sight of the fairly obvious blue cable used as L3 (assuming we're looking at the load side of that upsidedown MCB).

Back to the same house which had the satisfactory eicr to do a bit more after kitchen fitters have been.

IMG_1456.jpg

Above was for washing machine left hanging.
IMG_1458.jpg

This was Fcu for washing machine upper and lower tags not flattened so was crushing the neutral.
cpc sleeving too short.

Sparky had changed this fcu last year as he said the switch felt funny

Last edited:
This tickled me. I was called because the original guy abandoned the job and has made up endless excuses not to return.
You can imagine it unfold - aargh a joist. Never mind I’ve got a genius idea. Just put the the front on. Ah……
View attachment 102829
Easily fixed with a metal box and a couple of inches of 2 X 1. That's how we retro fitted boxes into a cavity wall before these 'fast fix' abominations came into existence.

I like the convention that uses grey as neutral, but simply because the alternative means picking a conductor at random from one job to the next. Where possible, consistency is my friend.
I suppose the other option if using swa single phase is to buy it the with the brown, blue, green/yellow colours.

Don't bother with sleeving, just paint it 😂
I remember a few years ago after dropping a light switch and seeing the black S/L with about 2 inches of red on the end and thinking that looks very neat as the sleeve was the same diameter as the black.
It was only when I started to push the switch back on and saw the copper exposed between the sleeve that i realised what they had done.

About 20 light switches had to come off to be sorted.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock