Discuss doing my 2391-10 in june in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi brav
I am not associated with C&G but with a different board, so cannot give you any information on C&G 2391, but for the board that I am a consultant chief examiner for. I would hope that our Inspection and Test questions are written clearly enough for learners to understand. There is a rigorous system of quality control to ensure that the question writers' questions are fit for purpose and no errors occur. Misleading is a harsh word to use for an exam paper, one may say same for BS 7671, that book provides hours of entrertainment on here and probably in every college staff room in the country. I would also guess that where available the final weeks of any course are based around question answering and becomming familiar with the "housestlyle" of the board. All exam boards have their criteria for setting what is required for a pass or fail. I am sure that colleges would know what this is for any particular board and your lecturers would be the best way to get information if it is available. If you have access to the chief examiners report, which for 2391 I have provided a link to in a previous post in this thread, you will see what the main areas are of misunderstanding when papers are answered. At level 3 my personal view is that understanding is what is being tested, rather than test of memory, and sometimes wonder if learners have the experience in inspection and test prior to taking this exam. A quick research on learners success with AM2 is probably going to result in the same conclusion.
Kind Regards
JohnC

The questions are not misleading, you should RTFQ properly. This course is supposed to be for experts, not someone who can memorise stuff by heart and just pass by luck. I have seen this with electricians who claim to know how to test correctly,but when it comes to the 2391 board they have'nt a clue what they are doing, they always fail the 1a and 1b boards, you might get 2 pass out of a class of 10-12 people. You need to get over a 100-105 marks to pass out of 150. This is why electricians should do the 2392 course first, so they learn the fundamental principles of Inspection and Testing and get some practical experience aswell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Constantly read page 90-103 of the new OSG also buy the City & Guilds Exam Success: Inspection and Testing (IEE Wiring Regulations) this book has 2 sets of questions plus answers and guides you throughout the written exam very good book.
In the exam you should use correct terminology and RTFQ which stand for (read the ****ing questions) also underline the relevant stuff in the scenario i.e what type of premises, wiring system, type of CB, RCBO's, trunking is it a new installation or existing one or both.
Learn the 18 point check list
The sequence of tests
IP codes
How to draw the Earth fault loop paths for TT, TN-S and TN-C-S to much to mention on here, but good look with your exam and practicals.

Wat 18 point checklist do u refere too, cheers

Page 189-190 of the new BS7671 Regulation 611.3
(i) Connection of conductors,
(ii) Identification of conductors
And so on learn all of these if possible up to (xvii)

Have you got exam success as that has 2 sample papers and gives you a idea how to answer and using correct terminology

Chris kitchers guide to I&T is a good book few mistakes but overall good

usual GN3 front to back and back to front
learn Gs38
memorandum of guidance on elecy at work regs
practice writing all test procedures in bullet points with and without drawings and also calcs especially continuity of ring final circuit conductors
part 6 and 7 the regs a lot of this comes up
have you got any sample papers

Reply to doing my 2391-10 in june in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net