Discuss Door bell issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

not wired

DIY
Reaction score
I have salvaged the door bell operation from an old M&S intercom system which doesn't quite function as it should. When you make normal contact on the door bell button, the chime doesn't produce a clear and reasonably prolonged sound. Its muted (fuzzy) and only engages for a split second and fades out. However, when the DB button is pushed and engaged for a second or two, the chimes rings out with full sound and duration. It appears as long as you fully engage and hold the DB button in, that it operates as it should. The DB button is the original one that came with the M&S system. Anybody using it, as you would expect, creates the muted and fuzzy sound which is merely a noise maker and an announcement that someone is there. Does the problem lie in the door bell button that needs some sort of a hold down feature or does it need a booster of some kind to engage the current longer. Any help in resolving the issue would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Id ask what the voltage was on the intercom system, and what it is now.

It just sounds like its not getting enough juice to power the buzzer... (these old intercoms have buzzers rather than a ding-dong sounding chime)

Id ask what the voltage was on the intercom system, and what it is now.

It just sounds like its not getting enough juice to power the buzzer... (these old intercoms have buzzers rather than a ding-dong sounding chime)
Havent determined voltage yet, however ,had a second look at the unit and noted it came with with instructions to mount enclosed diode on to the door bell switch?? Could this be the answer to the problem. Foggy as to why I didnt address this at time of install. Your thoughts, Thx

a diode is used to cut off one half of an AC voltage. If the power supply is AC, and the chime or whatever is DC...
But there needs to be a bit more electronics to get a smooth DC line

Reply to Door bell issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net