Discuss Downlights cut into vaulted ceilings in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jimmer

Just got a phone call from building control saying that you cant fit down lights in the finished extension vaulted ceiling we been working on because it breaks the thermal barrier of the cellotex. Is there such a thing as a fire hood with a u value rating. I've looked at the aico ones and it says nothing about u value. I guess this means no more recessed lights in vaulted ceilings at all, unless its counter battoned with a 6" baton. Surely other people have had this problem? Building control are talking about taking the roof off and re-insulating it from above!
Any help much appreciated

Don't do it is the short answer because you break the thermal barrier and the lights will over heat as well. Couple of occasions where this has come up I have talked them into having a flat area high up and put in angled D/L's

I haven't heard this one before, where abouts are you in the country? I hope this isn't the case as I have some to install very soon. :(

Are yours on the slope of the roof line or in a flat section at the top of the vaulted ceiling?

We've had this recently where a conversion was having two layers of kingspan laid in opposite directions to stop cold spots. When we called building control, they didn;t seem too bothered that we needed to cut through the kingspan to fit the lights. Anyway, we decided that it seemed stupid to specify all this insulation to then cut through it, so we had the joiners make a box around each fitting, which could then be insulated to spec.

as an alternative, you can buy galvo metal cases that span joists, which can then have insulation laid directly onto them.

I haven't heard this one before, where abouts are you in the country? I hope this isn't the case as I have some to install very soon. :(

Are yours on the slope of the roof line or in a flat section at the top of the vaulted ceiling?

I'm in mid devon, the down lights are on the slope as there was no flat section at the top, my problem is the build is now finished!

You could use Aurora downlights that are designed to be covered in insulation, stuff rock wool or get it blown up through the hole to fill the thermal gap then pop them up, unless the rock wool doesn't have the same thermal value as celotex. Sounds like you've got a right one as a building inspector.

Aurora - 'Passionate about Lighting'

Last edited by a moderator:
i would go down the route of LED lighting, due to the low amount of heat produced, obviously with the approval of the building inspector.

I was -------ed by the building inspector about 2 yearsago for installing down lights into a vaulted ceiling. But them another said itwas ok on the next extension I did, so now we make a make a” top hat” and theinsulation is formed round that, we also install LEDs to. Everyone seems happywth that.

just done a new build building controll want an extra 4 inches of insulation , what a load of old balony house need to breath not suffocate there will be a spate of dry rot in a few years , having said that pressure tests loads of insulation then we cut out loads of 100mm holes for extracts what a barmy world we live in

Reply to Downlights cut into vaulted ceilings in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net