Discuss eal nvq level 3 diploma help in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kirkbykarl

hello people was wondering if any body has done the eal nvq diploma course as im struggling to understand the job write ups.

any information on this would be much appriciated.

Funnily enough I start mine in the next few weeks, via EAL..
How have you found it, if you don't mind me asking? I have the performance unit book, which looks like a nightmare to go through but I guess will be pretty straight forward...
But I think the NVQ is pretty much the same with either C&G or EAL, I think there are a few guys on here who have done it.
Any tips or advice though you have, would love to hear them mate..
Cheers

Ian

Doing level 3 at the moment struggling on some questions, you think they would be clearer in what they want to know some questions poorly written.

If you are struggling talk to your provider, you are paying them for their services. I'm just finishing NVQ and haven't found the write ups too bad, more so getting the correct evidence. Its not until you start writing when you wished you had taken more photo's so you can claim more modules. I'm not sure how the EAL system is set up, but PM me and I can e-mail a template I use to give me a rough idea of what to write.

Hi Firemanowl

yes this is how i have found it so far

first unsure what to write for the Pos then not knowing what evidence to get pictures etc of and then realising you should have had other pictures of other things i took probably to many covering one thing and not enough of others

I have also after just finishing my first set of site diaries for the 8 units been given loads of Knowledge questions to answer GULP!

I find its trying to interpret what they are asking is always the hardest thing with C&G Quals

If you are doing the NVQ then you should have been allocated to an advisor/assessor by your training provider, it is his job to help you through.

Writing tech write up's is straight forward. There are templates, but i prefer not to use them with my apprentices.

Firstly you need to be aware that each assessment route summary needs cross referencing to your work 3 times.
You need 3 good examples of tech write up's as a minimum to meet the requirements, usually it takes 6 or 7.

Photographic evidence is also very useful, and so are things like instructions, circuit diagrams, warning signs about PPE, and so on. It is also acceptable to takes notes of any discussions that are held between you and the assessor, this is also acceptable evidence. You should also be observed a few times by your assessor as part of the process.

Writing a tech write up consists of a Before, this is where you discuss the job requirements, what the fault symptoms etc maybe, who the work will affect whilst power is off and so on. Risk assessments, what protective measures you need to take to protect you, other workers, anyone else who maybe in the vacinity, such as barriers, cones, cordons. You need to list the tools and equipment you will use, any permit to work systems in place, and it goes on and on. The more content you get in the easier it will be to cross ref more of the portfoilo.

During, Then look at the job itself, what are you going to do, how will you do it, is anyone helping you, what will you do if you need first aid, step by step explain how you did what you did.

Finally After, clean and tidy up, dispose of rubbish in the appropriate way,de isolate, handback whatever it was you did, to whoever uses it once it is tested and working again.

Your advisor or assessor should explain this to you,

Cheers............Howard

Your NVQ knowledge bank questions are designed to make you think a bit deeper, it is also part of the wider key skill aspect. Your knowledge and experience will develop as your work experience develops, and so the questions will get easier to answer. There a a few generic questions which will repeat across all your modules whether they are mandatory or optional units. Copy and paste these answers into each unit. There are also a lot of generic assessment route summaries particularly the first part of all units where it states ASSESS ALL BY WORK PERFORMED, there are about 7 or 8 routes listed, and they all relate to health and safety. Once you have done a job get all the things it asks you for into the first part of your write up, give the write up a reference, and put that reference into the assessment route summaries. Get some A4 plastic wallets, and put your write up, and any other evidence such as photo's into it, and put it into the back of your portfolio folder.

When you begin to cross ref your evidence into your portfolio, each box needs 3 cross references, but that is a minimum, i tell my lads to cross ref all work, so some of their assessments will have 6 or 7 references, you can never get too much detail into it.

Cheers..........Howard

Reply to eal nvq level 3 diploma help in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net