Discuss Electrical Advice needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm after some advice /information about moving back into the installation industry.

I've been working in the electrical sector for 11 years now, I'm fully apprentice trained and qualified, C&G's, NVQ3, AM2, 17th Ed, JIB Gold Card etc...I've done most kinds of electrical installation work over these years. Currently work as an electrical shift engineer at a production facility where its reactive breakdown work on PLC's, automation, contacts, motors, inverters etc so more electrical engineering and occasional installation works.

What are the current requirements for me to go and work for my self as an electrician?

Other than the 18Ed regs change can I still operate as an electrician legally?

I've been asked by a close friend about doing all the electrical work at their new office block, so lights, power etc.. and as I've been out the installation game for around 4 years I'm just looking for any relevant info/advice.

Thanks

only thing i see is 18th ed. and do you have 2391 testing qual?

2391 would be an advantage, but not necessary for going self-emploted. you seem to have all the necessaries for now.

Just to add to this.

So as it stands i'm still ok to operate as an installation electrician with my current level of qualifications. I'm able to do the testing and produce the certificates for electrical installation work. Just one more query, at what point do I need to notify the local authorities and how do you usually go about doing this?

Thanks

So long as you are aware of and work to the standards of the 18th edition of BS7671 then with your qualifications you would be OK to work for yourself as an installation electrician.
Regarding notification to building control for new circuits, CU changes and work in zones of a room containing a shower or bath, this is expensive to do if you are not a member of a self certification scheme for competent persons, however if you inform building control in advance of what you are planning to do and they will then (hopefully) take into account your capabilities and tell you when they will need to see progress on the work and will then send someone out to test the work when completed, if they are happy with your competence they may just ask for copies of the certificates. It does depend on the local council and the inspector how far they are prepared to go.
Have a read of the approved document for Part P of the building regulations to ensure you are complying with this correctly.
Other than that the only authority that needs to know is HMRC that you are self employed. Make sure your insurance is up to date as well.

You would probably struggle to get registered without the 18th edition and as far as NAPIT are concerned you would only get registered as domestic without the 2391 and I don't think you would be allowed to do periodic certs. My son, who works for me, has just passed his AM2 in June, but had to upgrade to the 18th edition to be registered as an operative of mine with NAPIT and even then, because he doesn't have a specific inspection and testing cert he can only be registered for domestic work and is limited on what certification he can sign.

Reply to Electrical Advice needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net