Discuss Electrical Point Above a Cooker in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

Ive been to a few installation now, and all installation had a cooker point mounted above the cooker, i know under part P that there recommended a gap of 300mm but what regulation would i use.

Thanks dave

there's no hard and fast rule. basically far enough away from trhe heat source ( hob) so as not to get damaged, and that includes the flex of any appliances plugged into it. 6" is what i would consider the minimum from the edge of the hob.

This again shows how crxp the regs are written.

I'm not sure there is a specific reg, but the best place to look would be the Electricians Guide to the Building Regs..... or wait and see what others suggest.

Thanks for the quick respone, yh in the same boats as you guys no hard regulation on this point. It was 200 mm above the hib so i think i will meantion it under reg 134.1.1 and under reg 522 section. Differet

i recently had to install a socket above my cooker so she could plug her hair dryer in.:prrr:

A socket or cooker panel located directly above a cooker hob or freestanding cooker should be repositioned for two reasons.
A) The unit itself or any equipment plugged into it would be exposed to an external heat influence with the possibility of fire.

B) Any person within reason operating either a cooker switch or associated socket point could be at risk of burns or injury as a result of reaching over the heat source to operate the unit.

Application of appropriate regs within the 17th edition will clarify the above points.

A socket or cooker panel located directly above a cooker hob or freestanding cooker should be repositioned for two reasons.
A) The unit itself or any equipment plugged into it would be exposed to an external heat influence with the possibility of fire.

B) Any person within reason operating either a cooker switch or associated socket point could be at risk of burns or injury as a result of reaching over the heat source to operate the unit.

Application of appropriate regs within the 17th edition will clarify the above points. 

Now the condensed version

Move it pal, because either you or the flex will get roasted
icon7.png

Application of appropriate regs within the 17th edition will clarify the above points. 

And the reg numbers are??

528.3.1 can also be applied if the unit is fed by a wiring system within the cooker space as tends to be the case in council properties where surface pvc trunking is used.

I was called out to a failed FCU. 3 FCU's behind a gas hob - immediately behind on the wall, in a lovely melty straight line!

Reg 522.2.1 is a reasonable one to apply.

I fail to understand why the question was asked in the first place,:shocked3: but if it happens to be turning into a game of risk Poker

rattlehead85,I will accept your reg 522.2.1 and raise you a fundamental principle
icon7.png
131.3.2 (ii)

Anybody else want to join this card school
icon6.png

Interesting. However, this reg suggests that the electrical point would be the direct source of heat therefore igniting surrounding materials. In this instance the cooker is the direct source of heat. In most fitted kitchens it is impractical to move or resite a cooker space to accomodate the cooker. Therefore the electrical point tends to be the easier option.

Dec 56! No ones know it all and this is what a forum here for advice. I've coded it a code 3 but just what a pointer in the correct direction for a reg number. Thanks for all the response! Dave

Dec 56! No ones know it all and this is what a forum here for advice. I've coded it a code 3 but just what a pointer in the correct direction for a reg number. Thanks for all the response! Dave

dave
Sorry to give the impression I was refering to your opener,which was a very valid question ,the question I was refering to was murdochs which was asking for the reg No in response to a well constructed reply by rattlehead
It was meant to be light hearted banter with the regs pages

In most cases the cooker point was already in place, then along comes Kev the kitchen fitter or DIY Dave and installs the cooker or hob directly below it!! ...Code 1 for stupidity if you ask me!! lol!!

Reply to Electrical Point Above a Cooker in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net