Discuss ELECTRICAL REPORT ADVICE in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

To be fair to the inspector, I could have done with re-reading section E (overall summary) at the end. That bit is well written and I think by the time I'd sifted through everything else I'd forgotten about it. It's a bit unusual to get more useful information from that box than the rest of the report but It does demonstrate that the person inspecting it had a clear view of the most pressing issues.
On that basis I trust more of the report now, and retract my comment to start again.

If the £700 quote is to replace a consumer unit, rewire the lighting circuit (two floors?), find and address the break in the ring final circuit, investigate the low IR issues and resolve, and add bonding to services, I actually don't consider it too bad at all. There are a few open-ended tasks in that that might take minutes or hours.

To be fair to the inspector, I could have done with re-reading section E (overall summary) at the end. That bit is well written and I think by the time I'd sifted through everything else I'd forgotten about it. It's a bit unusual to get more useful information from that box than the rest of the report but It does demonstrate that the person inspecting it had a clear view of the most pressing issues.
On that basis I trust more of the report now, and retract my comment to start again.

If the £700 quote is to replace a consumer unit, rewire the lighting circuit (two floors?), find and address the break in the ring final circuit, investigate the low IR issues and resolve, and add bonding to services, I actually don't consider it too bad at all. There are a few open-ended tasks in that that might take minutes or hours.
He has quoted £700 for below 4 items only and excluded re-wire of GF \ 1st floor, new downlight fittings to kitchen \ bedroom and no mentioning of low IR issue or investigate break in ring circuit :

1. New consumer unit with RCBOs to provide additional protection to electrical circuits.
2. Providing earthing continuity to lighting circuit - Need to clarify whether he is looking to install a new CPC or remove class 1 fittings with class 2.
3. Meter tails and main earthing undersized.
4. No gas or water earth bonding.

You need to clarify the works to be undertaken in item 2. If the cables do not incorporate cpcs then putting in place Class II fittings etc........ is not a suitable protective measure for a dwelling, it happens and may well make it "safer" but it is in no way a long term solution.

There are two ways of looking at this report - from a high-level perspective it highlights that at least one circuit fails its disconnect time - so C2 looks correct, there is no bonding in the bathroom, nor RCD protection, nor CPC in the lighting, therefore a C2 for this would be appropriate. On these two issues alone it indicates the installation is not satisfactory and something needs to be done.

However, although the inspector has identified something needs to be done, it should be you that decides what is to be done, you could have a single upfront RCD fitted along with a few other minor fixes, it would be compliant, but wholly unsuitable, you could have a board change, or perhaps look at the installation overall and realise that it really ought to be modernised both in terms of electrical standards, but also usability for modern living. This could mean a full or partial rewire may be the overall better choice - for example fit a new circuit for the kitchen sockets, modern kitchens usually have more than a toaster and kettle (as was the case when this was installed).

Basically it should open up a dialogue between you and a number of electricians to decide what is best for you, your circumstances, and the future.

From another perspective this report could be considered poor! To me it looks like the inspector realised it needs something to be done (due to the above), so has "over-egged the cake" so as to speak, and found many borderline C2/C3 issues and put them in the C2 category, as it looks more urgent and essential to the homeowner.

As such; little care appears to have been exercised in the detail of this report, which to other electricians rings alarm bells!

However, there is no doubt, your installation needs to be updated in some way irrespective of the detail of this report; personally I would not get a second opinion - you know it needs addressing already.

In your situation I would think about what I want from the electrical system - I could do with more sockets in the Kitchen, perhaps an outside one for mowing the lawn, USB sockets in the bedrooms in more convenient places etc etc. Then get a couple of electricians in to quote for your needs and address the issues you have.

I would suggest looking for someone on this forum as they tend to be the more conscientious ones, many electricians like other trades and employees have no interest other than making as much money in their boring day-job as they can.

Very useful and thank you very much for your guidance.

You need to clarify the works to be undertaken in item 2. If the cables do not incorporate cpcs then putting in place Class II fittings etc........ is not a suitable protective measure for a dwelling, it happens and may well make it "safer" but it is in no way a long term solution.
Will do. Thank you very much for all your time and very helpful.

To be fair to the inspector, I could have done with re-reading section E (overall summary) at the end.
Yes, I did not pay enough attention to there either.

The "Poor condition of wiring, greening of cables in C/U and multiple socket outlets" really means a rewire of those circuits so £700 sounds quite reasonable.

Removing Class II fittings wouldn't be in keeping with "Providing earthing continuity to lighting circuit" that has been quoted for.

I have received an unsatisfactory EICR report (with 12 nos C2 and 1 F1 code) and not sure should I get it done again by somebody else to get second opinion.

Any advice (i.e. cost and genuine faults needs rectification) on that will be greatly appreciable.

Poor condition of wiring, greening of cables in C/U and multiple socket outlets. No earth bonding to gas and water present. No CPC to multiple lighting points. Neutral conductor for ring final circuit has no continuity of conductors.

16 Compatibility of protective devices, bases and other components; correct type and rating (No signs of unacceptable thermal damage, arcing or overheating) (411.3.2; 411.4; 411.5; 411.6; section 432.433) - C2

17 Meter tails - F1

19 Confirmation of earthing conductor size (542.3; 543.1.1) - C2

20 Condition and accessibility of main protective bonding conductor/connections (543.3.2; 544.1.2) - C2

23 Presence and adequacy of circuit protective conductors (433.3.1; Section 543) - C2

25 Concealed cables installed in prescribed zones (see Section D. Extent and limitations) (522.6.202) - C2

26 for all socket-outlets of rating 32 A or less, unless an exception is permitted (411.3.3) - C2

27 for cables concealed in walls at a depth of less than 50 mm (522.6.202; 522.6.203) - C2

28 for cables concealed in walls/partitions containing metal parts regardless of depth (522.6.203) - C2

29 Provision of fire barriers, sealing arrangements and protection against thermal effects (Section 527) - C2

30 Connections soundly made and under no undue strain (526.6) - C2

31 No basic insulation of a conductor visible outside enclosure (526.8) - C2

33 Presence of supplementary bonding conductors, unless not required by BS 7671:2018 (701.415.2) - C2

Read more: EICR Report Advice - https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/eicr-report-advice.581701/#ixzz7CxySIZ36
you need a rewire not a second opinion potentially if this is right!

Reply to ELECTRICAL REPORT ADVICE in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock