Discuss Electrician Training courses help! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So at the moment Im working as an aircraft electrician and would like to do additional training to cover me for domestic/industrial work but Im having trouble figuring out what I need to do to achieve this. Im looking to get qualified so I can work self employed when not on the aircraft but also to be able to do work around my own home as well as my friends and families rental properties.

One training company said I need to do the below courses costing around £2800 (after 25% discount)
Basic Electrics, Part P, 18th Edition and Fundamental Insp & Testing

I found on the ECS website that I can go down the mature candidate assessment scheme. I called my local approved centre and they have offered me two course. JIB Mature Candidate Route Installing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipment NVQ or DISQ (Installing, Testing and Ensuring Compliance of Electrical Installations in Dwellings)

Apologies for the long-windedness of this post but Im really at a lose end as which way to go. With the best part of 3k on the line Id rather make the right choice the first time. Given my experience on aircraft what are my choices and what will I need to do to achieve my goals. There is so much information out there, some of it conflicting that it all gets very confusing.

Mike

the JIB mature candidate route deffo. this will enable you to get a JIB card and allow you to work on site in in the industrian sector. The first option you quoted is for boil in the bag domestic installers. you'll be limited to working in houses with that one.

So at the moment Im working as an aircraft electrician and would like to do additional training to cover me for domestic/industrial work but Im having trouble figuring out what I need to do to achieve this. Im looking to get qualified so I can work self employed when not on the aircraft but also to be able to do work around my own home as well as my friends and families rental properties.

One training company said I need to do the below courses costing around £2800 (after 25% discount)
Basic Electrics, Part P, 18th Edition and Fundamental Insp & Testing

I found on the ECS website that I can go down the mature candidate assessment scheme. I called my local approved centre and they have offered me two course. JIB Mature Candidate Route Installing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipment NVQ or DISQ (Installing, Testing and Ensuring Compliance of Electrical Installations in Dwellings)

Apologies for the long-windedness of this post but Im really at a lose end as which way to go. With the best part of 3k on the line Id rather make the right choice the first time. Given my experience on aircraft what are my choices and what will I need to do to achieve my goals. There is so much information out there, some of it conflicting that it all gets very confusing.

Mike
Start with the 18th edition as you can download past questions and answers so all you have to do is practice and practice until you consistently pass the book yourself on an exam locally and you will the be ok.

If you just want to do domestic stuff take a look at what the schemes require as a minimum so that you can do notifiable work. They may also advise if any of your existing qualifications and experience count. Start with 2365, 18th Edition-2382 plus some inspection and testing courses - 2391. Take a look at local colleges if convenient as they may well be cheap than some of the intensive fast track packages. Lots more threads on here on the subject. Good luck. :thumbsup:

speaking with one of the local colleges, he was saying if I go the JIB route id have to do the 18th, inspect&test and AM2 courses as well. I know it would work out more expensive but maybe its better to start with domestic route and then upgrade to JIB after getting some jobs under my belt? I know it would work out more expensive but having worked with 18th edition and the inspect&test would stand me in better stead. Until I start the courses I wont know how much crossover experience I already have. The JIB course requires 5 years experience so hopefully they count my current experience because Im not looking for a change of career and wont be on site when there is work on aircraft. Thanks for all your input guys. There really is a lot more to all of this than I first realised!

Although you will need the 18th edition, Inspection and testing & the AM2 you will also need to be working on site to complete the NVQ portfolio where you'll complete different units & be assessed, its then when this is completed you'll then be able to apply for the Gold Card.

Tagging onto this thread. Jaws where you state starting a portfolio on site, is this a mixture of domestic and industrial jobs? Also which NVQ is this?

I’m a time served elec buses maintenance engineer and I too would lime to gain the necessary qualifications to do installation work on the side.

Reply to Electrician Training courses help! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net