Discuss Electronic Ballast Life in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi:
I am the custodian at Peru Public Library, Peru IL. About 20 years ago, I installed about 150 new General Electric brand electronic ballasts and new 48" T8 size fluorescent lamps. This replaced magnetic ballasts and T12 size bulbs. We received a grant to cover the cost as the conversion saved a fair amount of watt hours.

Now I am considering replacing the fluorescent lamps with LED 48" T8 size bulbs for additional energy savings. There are two basic types available. One type simply replaces the fluorescent bulb without any other changes.

The second type requires altering the fixture wiring to connect the 120volt AC power direct to the fixture end sockets , thus bypassing the ballast.

I am 79 years old now, so not that crazy about all the 8 foot ladder work on each ceiling fixture to rewire them to bypass the ballast.

But here is my real anxiety: It seems that electronic ballasts are rated to have a 20 year life. Thus, the library may begin to have a high ballast failure rate as I installed them 20 years back. They may fail regardless of whether they power fluorescent or LED tubes. Each fluorescent lamps uses about 28 -30 watts while the LED tubes require 10 watts each.

Another concern is LED tube costs. The direct 120 volt ballast bypass type are less cost.

I was hoping a Forum member has had some long term experience with fluorescent lamp electronic ballasts and the professed 20 year life. If I replace fluorescent lamps using the non-bypass LED bulbs and ballasts begin to fail, I or someone will need to do the ladder work to replace or bypass it. I have only had to replace maybe 8-10 ballasts over the twenty year period to date.

To sum up, I am not convinced that the ballast life is 20 years. But that seems silly on my part as the supplier (Sylvania LED tubes) notes the 20 year life and everything on the web claims the same.

Anyone have actual experience with electronic ballast longevity?

Thanks,
Ron Reeland

Reply to Electronic Ballast Life in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net