Discuss Emergency light wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Um I've wired an emergency light up but I can't get it to work the way I envisaged it would. I would like the light to switch on and off from a light switch when powered like any other light. When not powered I would like it to illuminate using the battery etc. Now it says in the destructions that for non-maintained remove the link. So I removed the link and it doesnt really work how I thought it would. When I switch the light switch on it turns off goes to green light. When I turn the light switch off the light illuminates. When power is switched off it seems the battery does come on so that part is working. Am I making sense. Heres a picture of the inside of the light. It does not mention s1 or s2 in the manual. Any ideas what I've done wrong? thanks

photo 1.JPG

you are attempting to do something that you can't. you cannot switch the em on and off .

Ill ignore that very poorly terminated earth for now....

Your Emergency light requires power constantly not switched supply unless for test.

As the batteries seem to be drained you need to leave it charging for a day the test

you need a perm feed and a switch wire ,when on test the green neon goes out and lamp goes on battery light will work with other lights on and off if wired correctly

The instructions will tell you the fitting requires permanent power so wire permanent supply via a test point like a key switch if required -(not sure where your fitting this)- as the link changes the fitting from maintained to non maintained then it would seem having a switch across the terminals of s1 and s2 would turn the light on and off although this is probably not how its designed and can reduce lamp life drastically depending on the board design and also has i not sure of what voltages are present at S1 and S2 you may have to take extra measures to segregate this wiring from other wiring.

If the instructions don't show you a switch option across S1 and S2 then don't do this.... just buy a flourescent fitting with back up EM pack as long as you have a permanent live at the fitting you should be ok.

This is very basic concept that a EM light requires permanent supply and really should be in the DIY section, if you are fitting this anywhere else except your own home you have a lot of BS standards to comply to regarding siting, testing, circuit arrangement etc... as we don't know we can't advise further if you are fitting this elsewhere i would suggest you have an electrician guide you or do the job for you.

The instructions will tell you the fitting requires permanent power so wire permanent supply via a test point like a key switch if required -(not sure where your fitting this)- as the link changes the fitting from maintained to non maintained then it would seem having a switch across the terminals of s1 and s2 would turn the light on and off although this is probably not how its designed and can reduce lamp life drastically depending on the board design and also has i not sure of what voltages are present at S1 and S2 you may have to take extra measures to segregate this wiring from other wiring.

If the instructions don't show you a switch option across S1 and S2 then don't do this.... just buy a flourescent fitting with back up EM pack as long as you have a permanent live at the fitting you should be ok.

Ok well the instructions say " If the lamp is to be switched, remove the link from between the terminals marked “SW” and connect cables to and from your switch." ?

Ok well the instructions say " If the lamp is to be switched, remove the link from between the terminals marked “SW” and connect cables to and from your switch." ?

This is exactly the answer. The terminals you removed your link from are the terminals you connect your switch across, as Darkwood said, and as it states in your instructions.

Ive just seen your link i missed it earlier .... yes permanent power to the marked terminals and have your switch connected across the S1 and S2 ....give 24hrs to charge as you have drained the battery ....

Ps re-terminate your earth that is very poor workmanship to have exposed copper outside the connector.

This is very basic concept that a EM light requires permanent supply and really should be in the DIY section, if you are fitting this anywhere else except your own home you have a lot of BS standards to comply to regarding siting, testing, circuit arrangement etc... as we don't know we can't advise further if you are fitting this elsewhere i would suggest you have an electrician guide you or do the job for you.

To be honest this would be the first em light I've ever attempted to fit and so am fitting it at home above the consumer unit but wanted to switch it on and off as well....

Ive just seen your link i missed it earlier .... yes permanent power to the marked terminals and have your switch connected across the S1 and S2 ....give 24hrs to charge as you have drained the battery ....

So switch live to S1 then add a little tiny link of cable from S1 to S2... ok I will give it a go and let you all know. I'm sure you can't wait!

Reply to Emergency light wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net