Discuss Erbauer Drills any good in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dustydazzler

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Is Erbauer any good

A mate has offered me his near new Erbauer 18v impact for cheap

never used Erbauer , would they compare to say bosch or makita ?

It's the "in house" brand for <thinks for a bit> Screwfix isn't it ? I've bought some of that brand, but then I'm mostly using it for DIY - I've not used anything long enough/hard enough to say how well they last.
My gut feeling is that you really are paying for something with the extra the brands like DeWalt, Bosch, etc. cost.

I can be a tool snob....But I am not a Brand Junkie .Not one brand makes a good range .Festool can be amazing . Dewalt I think has really upped their game .Makita has not really marketed themselves well. Ryobi are worth a look at . Milwaukee are really doing well .Hikoki (Hitachi ) amazing etc etc . I have a friend who has a very senior position with a UK brand and he has a good selection of Brands .He LOVES ERBAUER . as for the money they are hard to beat . With the rules changing soon. It will be battery only stuff and no one wants trillions of batteries and chargers . So slowly people will stick to buying "naked tools" to work with their batteries and chargers . Ive used a cordless grinder by Erbauer and with a good disc it was fine..... Ok, not as quiet/smooth as something costing 2-3 times more .But it was FINE ! If the impact comes with battery /charger .Then its a good starting point maybe to add in a few cheap tools that do not have to be top end stuff .

I bought the ERBAUER 10.8v set of drill & impact driver about 5 years ago whilst away with no tools, it's been bullet proof, I as a Milwaukee junkie can't fault it. I don't use it all the time but for tight spots and small holes (ooh matron) it's great! Battery life is slowly getting worse and will probably not outlast the tool but I can't grumble for £99 definitely earned its money!
I also had one of their corded sds drills for a good couple of years till the magic smoke escaped trying to drill a meter long 25mm hole through a stone church wall, I abused the sh@t out of that when I had it, again around£100 mark!
They are a cheap tool but seem really reliable!
Oh yes I have 240v chainsaw of there's as well and that's been solid too, still use it regularly as we only have wood heating!
Sy

There are some really cheap, basic drills in their range and also some that are very decent in terms of specification. Pretty much like most brands, but perhaps not pushing as far into 'professional' territory.

I can be a tool snob....But I am not a Brand Junkie .Not one brand makes a good range .Festool can be amazing . Dewalt I think has really upped their game .Makita has not really marketed themselves well. Ryobi are worth a look at . Milwaukee are really doing well .Hikoki (Hitachi ) amazing etc etc . I have a friend who has a very senior position with a UK brand and he has a good selection of Brands .He LOVES ERBAUER . as for the money they are hard to beat . With the rules changing soon. It will be battery only stuff and no one wants trillions of batteries and chargers . So slowly people will stick to buying "naked tools" to work with their batteries and chargers . Ive used a cordless grinder by Erbauer and with a good disc it was fine..... Ok, not as quiet/smooth as something costing 2-3 times more .But it was FINE ! If the impact comes with battery /charger .Then its a good starting point maybe to add in a few cheap tools that do not have to be top end stuff .
What 'rules' are changing soon ??

you will be drilling with you hand with the case on the floor ,do you self a favour buy some thing will last you or you will be chawing on a carrot .that all folks.
Screwfix...... return it , they give you another one ! best returns policy there is . If a cheap tool lasts a year etc , thats a bargain.And depends how it treated and abused etc . I know of one joiner who drops every tool he can . shows them zero respect .never cleans them etc. Then wonders why they fail ! Yes, It wont be as good as a new 18v Dewalt .But its not in the same area of quality expectation etc ?

I have an cordless Erbaur circular saw. I's done floorboards,chipboard with no problems. Buy it but with heavy use it may not last as long as a dewalt ot bosch.

I had an Erbauer 18V for many years and it worked fine. The problem was when I lost the charger, and Screwfix had changed the battery design (changed supplier I assume) so that the new chargers didn't work 🤬

Now have Millwauke stuff, but at the right price I'd have no problem with another Erbauer as a drill, except for the hassle with another battery/charger. As others have said, Screwfix are good at replacing stuff there and then if it's their own brands..

You can get adaptors for the 18v batteries online so your dewalt batteries will work with Milwaukee, Makita etc so if you have a full range of batteries it can work out better if there is an offer on or you get say Erbauer kit, you can use your batteries.
I use dewalt batteries in a 18v worx circular saw.

I didn’t know erbauer did actual power tools like that… I’ve got drill bits from them, core hole kit… and an LED work light. No problems with them.

I bought a set of 3x SDS drills from LIDL when I started up. 1m long. Managed to snap the 10mm one yesterday.

I heard most sites and many private companies are going to stop having mains powered tools used by contractors etc .In the next few years .
Really? ..... think that one has come from the straight-banana think-tank😄

.just trying to calculate the overall carbon footprint,of thousands of tradies,returning home,to attach their chargers to a willing socket...

Really? ..... think that one has come from the straight-banana think-tank😄

.just trying to calculate the overall carbon footprint,of thousands of tradies,returning home,to attach their chargers to a willing socket...
I can't think of any advantage to ban power tools other than removing the trip hazard of having trailing extension leads dragging on the floor

Other than that I can't think of a single reason to only use a battery tool over a corded tool

Horses for courses, @Dustydazzler
If I have drilling to do, into brick or concrete, at or near ground level, and assuming there is mains power nearby, I'll plug in my 40 year old Black&Decker or my amazing cheapo Ferm SDS and just batter on. Up a ladder,or anywhere with no power, then it's the cordless stuff all the way. Basically, I go with what stresses me and my tools the least.

I can't think of any advantage to ban power tools other than removing the trip hazard of having trailing extension leads dragging on the floor

Other than that I can't think of a single reason to only use a battery tool over a corded tool
Something to do with PAT??? Some businesses wont allow stuff to be plugged in to their sockets unless all the GEAR is tested and signed off etc ?

Screwfix...... return it , they give you another one ! best returns policy there is . If a cheap tool lasts a year etc , thats a bargain.And depends how it treated and abused etc . I know of one joiner who drops every tool he can . shows them zero respect .never cleans them etc. Then wonders why they fail ! Yes, It wont be as good as a new 18v Dewalt .But its not in the same area of quality expectation etc ?
I think that's a poor attitude to have. I can understand it from a purely money point of view, but the throw away culture is so damaging to the environment which is in turn is damaging to our children and children's children.
I really don't mean any offence to you here Luke, you sound like a decent chap and I think your view of cheap tools is probably very common, but worth thinking about the bigger picture.

I think that's a poor attitude to have. I can understand it from a purely money point of view, but the throw away culture is so damaging to the environment which is in turn is damaging to our children and children's children.
I really don't mean any offence to you here Luke, you sound like a decent chap and I think your view of cheap tools is probably very common, but worth thinking about the bigger picture.
MY Estwing Hammers are 38 years old . Most of my tools I have bought second hand (mainly festool etc) .I am the charity shop king (High end shops....I look absolutely amazing when i go out !) Ive never bought a new car etc. All my camera gear. hifi gear and expensive watches all second hand . I agree fully with you. I think "decent " is a bit of a understatement ....I'm a few steps up the ladder :)

Reply to Erbauer Drills any good in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net