Discuss Exceeded max demand questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Please forgive me if I am wrong here and most probably am but wont some electricians add all the MCB's by taking the highest MCB away first which in this case would be 172a divide that by 4 then add the 40a MCB back on which gives a total of 83a

Please forgive me if I am wrong here and most probably am but wont some electricians add all the MCB's by taking the highest MCB away first which in this case would be 172a divide that by 4 then add the 40a MCB back on which gives a total of 83a
X 0.4 mate not divide by 4 which comes out at 68.8 + the 40......but as before that’s not a realistic way of applying diversity especially in a domestic scenario

I normally use the times 4 as a useful rule of thumb, but common spence needs to prevail.

As has already been said having the socket circuits devided between 5 breakers or having them on one breaker would make a massive difference on the total calculated load, but no difference on the actual load.
It's good practice to split the sockets onto a few mcb's but in this scenario itsprobable that the socket circuits are pulling no more than 32A between them.
Do the actual loading for each circuit and find out.

The existing board only has one RCD. He means replace the board for one which has more than one, and thus performs better re division of circuits etc.

I don't think he means put a new board in with only one RCD!
I w
The existing board only has one RCD. He means replace the board for one which has more than one, and thus performs better re division of circuits etc.
Took the words out of my mouth DPG!!

Reply to Exceeded max demand questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net