Discuss Excel template for sub-contractors invoice...? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SSOTN

Hello guys. Took the plunge back out into the land of a grubby this week. Will be getting myself re-registered as a sole trader with HMRC and get my UTR number again. Been looking at putting an invoice together on Excel so I can have all my calcs already set up to avoid mistakes etc. Anyone got a template one as i'm a bit unsure of what to include. Had a look online for templates but struggling to find one specifically aimed toward a subcontractor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PM me if you have one I can use and i'll forward my email address.

Thanks in advance (hopefully)

SSOTN

I may be confused and apologised profusely if so, however if employing subcontractors an excel spread sheet regarding payment to sub contractors just won't cut it with the IR, you need to have a proper IR approved program where you submit weekly payments to them regarding what tax you stop etc and then issue them with the appropriate paperwork confirming their earnings and what tax you stopped. you can use excel spread sheets for your purchase and sales ledgers by all means and will record what money you payed out to a subby via a bank ledger in it, but you will need proper records if employing others, I pay around 50 quid a year for a cd which they send to you regarding employing people and it allows all records to be inputed and sent to the IR, it is so simple even I can understand it but a spread sheet alone just won't do IMO

Agree with you there Tony, have play and understand the formulas etc best way to learn. Mike I run all my accounts through excel then just send them over to the accountant, I'm sure they then put them on Sage or whatever but its a good way for me so I can see what's going on. Did notice the OP comments were about 9months ago though, do you think he's still looking :)

i'm not clever enough to use excel for invoices. all i know how to do is put letters and/or numbers in the boxes.

Back to the original subject of Excel spreadsheets.

At about 14 taught how to do spreadsheets, on rolls of paper!

I’ve run companies for 30 years, non of them electrical. They were aside to my day job for a multinational.

My accountant thirty years ago didn’t even have Excel! So I kept my day book in excel and a weekly ledger for him. What a ball ache until I forced him to accept yearly print outs. OK as fanfolds they were about a mile long.

My last company everything just went in the day book section of a spreadsheet. On a Sunday it transferred to the weekly sheet. Year end it created a summary which I passed to the accountant.

Doing my own sheet I could keep track of:

• Depreciation The businesses I was in this was a mine field as there were two rates you could apply. BUT once you chose a rate you had to stick to it for everything.
  • Trends were tracked for the year.
  • Consumables were a bit of a problem as I was sponsored by a manufacturer.
  • Entertainment expenses, again a problem. Part and parcel of what I was doing.
  • Travel, a pain in the backside! But you know the fuel you’ve used and mileage covered.
  • I wasn’t VAT registered so that didn’t come in to play.

With VAT you can’t just do a simple XX% because as soon as things change you’re spreadsheet must change. This is where a day book comes in to play because you can change the % on the day.

Using my own spreadsheet I could get all the figures out of it I needed.
The trending caused me to drop out of a section of one business. If I’d just looked at the business as a whole then I would have continued as it was. Looking at it in the cold light of day I was robbing Peter to pay Paul. Paul got ditched.

As for printing off invoices there’s nothing better than Excel, as you enter the day book figures for a customer it transfers to the invoice. The invoice you make up as a template with fields linked to the sheet.

Excel isn’t hard to use but you do have to know the calculation works in the first place.

PS I turned down setting up the business side of a brothel.

Reply to Excel template for sub-contractors invoice...? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net