Discuss Extension in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Re: how not to wire your extension

Speedfit work on friction so unless pipe is squeeky clean it wont work.

Imho always glue pipe if you have to use speedfit

It was just the otherday i ended up taping up a hose to an outside tap because speedfit is rubbish.

When i was at college doing 2330 we did a little plumbing and at least 1/10 failed.

Cant beat a bit of soldering (doesnt help people don't always use the right inserts. It was news to me last week there is different sized inserts for 15mm pipe

It does'nt work on friction there are little metal blades that act like barbs, when you push the collar in they release the pipe, the problem comes from the pipe itself getting scratches in it when dragged across the floor or pulled in. Then when the fitting is put on it weeps past the seals vier the scrathes, its the same with hep2o, the only difference in inserts are between hep and speedfit, you have to use hep inserts on hep pipe and the same for speedfit, to my knowledge you should never use glue

As everyone has said its a p**s poor job all round but as i suspect the electrics in this extention have been taken from existing circuit and so are not notifiable under Part P which proves Part P does not work in it present state. If any Part P reg spark signs that off, which still is not completly clear if this is allowed yet , they need to be reported.

I only use the push fit stop ends have never used anything else speed fit for pressurised pipes I have use push fit poly pipe waste fittings which are good and ways to use

dubbo why do you bother repling to the idiots on here most are totally clueless
i guess ill be chucked off again by

I've never seen him repl to any of us.
Sometimes you worry me Ayjay :)

Gives me something to do, celeb big brother has started

Got a new plumber and electrician!

Frankly, I was shocked when I saw the photos. I felt really sorry for you jon, as I know that you were proudly showing the world your new "pride and joy". It makes me really sad when builders have a go at electrics, usually because they've watched an electrician, and "it's not rocket science, is it?". I'm glad that you now have professionals onboard, but it does make me angry that people such as yourself don't insist that properly qualified electricians carry out such critical work. Let's face it, electricity can, and does, kill. Why would you trust it to someone who mixes cement for a living?
All the best.

Frankly, I was shocked when I saw the photos. I felt really sorry for you jon, as I know that you were proudly showing the world your new "pride and joy". It makes me really sad when builders have a go at electrics, usually because they've watched an electrician, and "it's not rocket science, is it?". I'm glad that you now have professionals onboard, but it does make me angry that people such as yourself don't insist that properly qualified electricians carry out such critical work. Let's face it, electricity can, and does, kill. Why would you trust it to someone who mixes cement for a living?
All the best.

Now that's what I call an impact statement
icon14.png

It states the truth and puts into context what has happened to our trade

That statement ought to be taken on board by the Esc/Niceic and the rest of the leeches in this industry for their next probable futile safety campaign

Remember folks
Let's face it, electricity can, and does, kill. Why would you trust it to someone who mixes cement for a living?
icon12.png

Reply to Extension in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net