Discuss Big quote!!!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A very detailed breakdown HHD, as Murdoch says though a bit too wordy. I did find the font hard to read btw. I can't comment on the cost, it would be cheaper in my area but its just the way it is this side of the pond, its all very location dependant.

These one stuck out for me:
35)Allow to fit vanity light and cupboard, client supplied

What's fitting a vanity cupboard got to do with an electrician?

What the heck is a qualified IEE registered Electrician when there at home?

Does this mean they have the 17th edition?

The IEE has not been in existance for several years now. It's the IET.

Is this a live in or live out. If live out seems very high price to me, and I wouldn't be employing you.

If live in. Good luck, I'm sure it will be a learning experience.

Hi HHD

as Murdoch said I'd be strongly suggesting smoke/heat alarms and also explore the need or otherwise for a security alarm while you're trashing the place :49:

So much easier to run the cables then.....

Is this a live in or live out. If live out seems very high price to me, and I wouldn't be employing you.

If live in. Good luck, I'm sure it will be a learning experience.

The house will be inhabited throughout the contract. Also, it is written in the spec provided by customer that work has to be carried out with little internal disturbance and ALL services are to remain in operation!

Hi HHD

as Murdoch said I'd be strongly suggesting smoke/heat alarms and also explore the need or otherwise for a security alarm while you're trashing the place :49:

So much easier to run the cables then.....

Will definitely be doing this!

As for trashing the place Spartykus, see the spec above! "With little internal disturbance", it's gong to be a nightmare... I'll have to tip toe around in slippers and use a rubber mallet to channel out!! :uhoh2:

I'm beginning to think its perhaps not too high!

The house will be inhabited throughout the contract. Also, it is written in the spec provided by customer that work has to be carried out with little internal disturbance and ALL services are to remain in operation!

Will definitely be doing this!

As for trashing the place Spartykus, see the spec above! "With little internal disturbance", it's gong to be a nightmare... I'll have to tip toe around in slippers and use a rubber mallet to channel out!! :uhoh2:

Remember, your in business to make money ! & don't forget that payment is part of the job.

Thanks Tom, looks like it might be a bit high then, although they have had one other quote which was for around £6000.

your price is your price based upon your costings, taking into account all factors. I'd ignore others saying you are too expensive. It's up to the coustomer to decide who they want to use. Sometimes you buy cheap and buy twice.

This is not the type of job i would be involved in,but i have been called,when many jobs,such as this,go pear shaped.
The potential for falling out,is latent.
In my opinion,the "No loss of services,little internal disturbance,and working with other trades",will mean sectioning parts of what should be a whole installation. This,will mean individual parts of your quote,will be 2/3 days,instead of one,and those 2/3 days will not necessarily be consecutive...
It will be that,not the number of points,which will wear you down.

I think the fact that you have posted,and respect for that,means you have concerns. Act,according to those concerns.

About five years ago,a good friend asked me if i wanted to get involved on a new build project. It was ambitious,and the developers were known,architects on site etc...I read through the copious spec and agreements,and just got "that" feeling.

I declined,and said the only part i was sure about,was they would fall out,and it would cost half as much again

I was indignantly probed as to why i felt that to be likely,and i had to admit,it was no single thing,just a feeling.

The job went from 800K to 1.2M,and the litigation finished LAST year!

So,i would suggest lining all ducks up......or leave that park. Good luck:icon12:

Don't base this view on the naysayers on this thread. We can also price cheap to get work and then run around like fools.
Lived in work like this is a nightmare with having to deal with customers and moving their crap around sucks time.

BTW Spartykus is excellent at chasing walls and very good value I hear :)

What the heck is a qualified IEE registered Electrician when there at home?

Does this mean they have the 17th edition?

The IEE has not been in existance for several years now. It's the IET.

Actually the IEE is a brand belonging to the IET, so it still exists. However Amendment 3 has removed the reference to IEE on the spine of the book.

Still doesn't explain what an IEE Registered Electrician is, of course.

Reply to Big quote!!!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net