Discuss Remote sensor for undercabinet lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi.

A client would like undercabinet lights in her new kitchen but there's no way to bring a lighting cable across the large space without significant disturbance to the ceiling. There's some expensive looking coving etc. Isn't there just a remote switch and relay I can fit that will turn of a set of lights supplied from a different circuit (socket spur)? I think there's something used for external lighting on commercial buildings, barns etc but I've never used them.

Can anyone recommend?

Cheers

I would get a little infrared switch like this I've done it before you wave your hand under it so you'd probably need to drill it through the bottom of the cabinet somehow

hmm. Thanks for the replies. I don't want a seperate switch though. I want the relay bit but I want it triggered by a switched live on the original light circuit. I want to turn on some lights supplied via a fused spur on the other side of the kitchen. I understand these devices are used for remote switching of external lights over large areas where a hard wired switch circuit isn't practical, for instance on exterior farm buildings where you want one switch to turn on everything. Someone must know.

You could use a non contact IR switch.
I found what I'm after but thanks.

hmm. Thanks for the replies. I don't want a seperate switch though. I want the relay bit but I want it triggered by a switched live on the original light circuit. I want to turn on some lights supplied via a fused spur on the other side of the kitchen. I understand these devices are used for remote switching of external lights over large areas where a hard wired switch circuit isn't practical, for instance on exterior farm buildings where you want one switch to turn on everything. Someone must know.
I guess this is the functionality you need, but perhaps overkill (and bulky) for the situation! There might be a "hide in the light switch" equivalent somewhere?

I found what I'm after but thanks.

Apologies I didn't see your earlier post to mine for some reason.
That's a good reliable solution
Just to state the obvious, you need both the transmitter and receiver for this to work!

So here they are in action. Very good in my opinion. There's really no lag at all to worry about. One thing that surprised me was no permanent live was required on the transmitter. Bit of an audible click from the receiver but basically very good. Not cheap though..

Attachments

• VID_20221214_173843.mp4
    16.2 MB

Reply to Remote sensor for undercabinet lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net