Discuss Big quote!!!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all,

This is a ridiculously long thread, so I dont expect anyone to read it all so I think I'm just looking to see if I'm in the right ball park. I have a friend (experienced electrician) helping me with this job and he will look over the quote as well, but I'd appreciate some opinions from you guys as well in the meantime.

I fully appreciate it's impossible to give much advice without having a lot more information, I think I'm looking for 'yeah, that looks about right' or, 'no thats way too much or too little' if possible.

Very briefly.. RCD protection on all circuits, Main bonding and earthing ok.

My quote ÂŁ4953 (mainly priced p/point), based on all white sockets/switches. Approx extra ÂŁ200 if wants LED GU10's.

Cheers guys! :uhoh2:

ELECTRICIAN

GENERALLY
1)All work to be carried out by qualified IEE registered Electrician and inaccordance with
IEEguidelines and with Part P of Building Regulations.
2)Reuse fittings and and sockets where suitable and in good order by agreementwith
client.
3)All electrical and telephone and network cable conduits to be set in to studpartitions or
chasedin sheathed and plastered in masonry walling.
4)All new sockets to be recessed.
5)Before final fixing of sockets and switches and light fittings allow for clientto mark up
arrangementon site.
6)Allow for attendance on other trades and builders work in connection with theseworks.

[h=1]GROUNDFLOOR[/h]
7)Allow for 6no. new twin sockets to suit new layout in Kitchen area. All aboveworktop.
8)Allow for 2no. new twin sockets to suit layout in Dining Area.
9)Allow to relocate twin socket adjacent D2. Allow for chasing in to plaster asnecessary.
10)Allow for 3 gang 2 way dimmable light switch to wall on right of entry fromhall to cover
2pendant lights for dining area and one set of spots in kitchen area
11)Allow for 3 gang 2 way dimmable light switch to wall on left of entry down toLiving
Roomto cover 2 pendant lights for Dining area and one set of spots in Kitchen area
andthe same to right of entry from Hall
12)Allow to fit and connect recessed spotlights in ceiling and two ceiling pendantlights to
beclient supplied
13) Resite / rearrange telephone socket as required.
14)Install Kitchen unit lighting as required (as provided by client)
15)Install new electric oven and separate hob (as provided by client). Include forresiting
existingcooker switch and fused spur as necessary.
16)Install undersink unvented water heater (unit supplied by client). Allow forrelocation of
fusedspur socket as necessary.
17)Supply and install new extractor fan (unit to be client supplied as part ofkitchen fittings).
18)Install speaker cable (supplied by client) in buried sheathing/trunking to befitted on wall
behindsofa at mid level with appropriate end sockets to run to equipment on opposite
wall.Exact positions to be marked in conjunction with client at first fix phase.
19)As noted on drawings, high level location for projector. Allow for buried powersupply to
socketadjacent and for buried and sheathed HDMI cable to link to AV equipment at
floorlevel on opposite wall. (Exact position to be marked in conjunction with clientat
firstfix phase)
20)Relocate existing drop down projector screen and provide power adjacent with
appropriatesocket buried and sheathed in plaster.

[h=2]FIRST FLOOR[/h]
[h=1]LANDING[/h]
21)Allow to relocate lights, switching and sockets to suit rearranged layout

[h=1]BATHROOM[/h]
22)Allow for single light switch adjacent door to landing on rhs.
23)Allow to fit and connect ceiling light to be client supplied
24)Allow to supply and fit shaver light with vanity cupboard (unit to be clientsupplied)
25)Allow for re-fitting electric towel radiator with timer.
26)Fit Power shower pump to be client supplied. To be sited in Airing cupboard toserve
bothshowers or fit power shower to be client supplied.
27)Allow for supply and fitting of ceiling mounted extract fan, separatelyswitched from pull
cordin accordance with current regulations.

[h=1]BEDROOM 1[/h]
28)Allow for 1no. new twin sockets.
29)Allow for refitting of switching.
30)Allow for moving 2no. phone sockets currently sited to LHS of window W22 to be
resited,1no. above current twin socket with 1no. twin socket and phone socket to RHS
ofwindow. Exact positions to be marked by client at first fix stage.
31)Supply and fit 2gang 2way light switch to replace existing adjacent doorentrance.
Switchto control fan/light and light in centre of room independently.

[h=1]ENSUITE[/h]
32)Allow for new light switch in Bedroom adjacent door.
33)Allow to fit and connect 2no. recessed spotlights in ceiling to be clientsupplied
34)Allow to supply and fit shaver socket.
35)Allow to fit vanity light and cupboard, client supplied
36)Allow for supply and fitting electric towel radiator with timer.
37)Allow for supply and fitting of ceiling mounted extract fan, separatelyswitched from pull
38)Allow for supply and fit of wall heater hard wired with fused spur on wall inBedroom
39)Allow for all electrical requirements for power shower.

[h=1]BEDROOM 2[/h]
40)Allow for 3no. new twin sockets to suit new layout as indicated
41)Allow for double light switch to be dimmable as indicated.
42)Allow to fit and connect surface mounted spotlights on ceiling to be clientsupplied
43)Resite / rearrange mains incoming telephone/internet master socket as required.
44) Resite telephone extension socket

STUDY

45)Allow for 3no. new twin sockets to suit new layout as indicated
46)Allow for single light switch to be dimmable as indicated.
47)Allow to fit and connect surface mounted spotlights on ceiling to be clientsupplied
48)Provide telephone/internet socket and cabling as required (location will bebelow W13)
linked to mains incoming phone master socket in Bed 2.

I would revise the wording to be a bit more specific as yours is too wordy: e.g.

Lounge

4 x 2G sockets
1 x TV point
1 x BT point
1 x pendent light fitting, 1 way switching from door to hall

All sockets and switches white square edge

And add a foot note stating a standard cost for each addition and each change

Payment: 65% on completion of 1st fix, 35 % on completion of 2nd fix and test. If completion of first fix is delayed, invoice at the end of the month to reflect the number of points first fixed (so for this to work you need to declare the costper socket, per switch, per light, per cooker etc etc)

what about smoke alarms?

So in total how many:

sockets
switches
light pendents
downlights
o/s sockets
TV points
BT points
Cooker circuits
fans
smokes
boiler wiring

Dangerous if you dont have a proven constant costing, to make sure there are no errors or missed out materials....once you start quoting on larger jobs, you need a quick and effective way to quote....you may get 10 per day, and only win 2, but aleast there accurate and your time is kept to a minimum

Dangerous if you dont have a proven constant costing, to make sure there are no errors or missed out materials....once you start quoting on larger jobs, you need a quick and effective way to quote....you may get 10 per day, and only win 2, but aleast there accurate and your time is kept to a minimum

Also VERY dangerous if what you are quoting for is open to interpretation.....

Then this will be your proposed Quotation and specification of works offered....again, can be a template in word format. But would suggest all quotations be converted to pdf before emailing for security.

Evening all,

This is a ridiculously long thread, so I dont expect anyone to read it all so I think I'm just looking to see if I'm in the right ball park. I have a friend (experienced electrician) helping me with this job and he will look over the quote as well, but I'd appreciate some opinions from you guys as well in the meantime.

I fully appreciate it's impossible to give much advice without having a lot more information, I think I'm looking for 'yeah, that looks about right' or, 'no thats way too much or too little' if possible.

Very briefly.. RCD protection on all circuits, Main bonding and earthing ok.

My quote ÂŁ4953 (mainly priced p/point), based on all white sockets/switches. Approx extra ÂŁ200 if wants LED GU10's.

Cheers guys! :uhoh2:

ELECTRICIAN

GENERALLY
1)All work to be carried out by qualified IEE registered Electrician and inaccordance with
IEEguidelines and with Part P of Building Regulations.
2)Reuse fittings and and sockets where suitable and in good order by agreementwith
client.
3)All electrical and telephone and network cable conduits to be set in to studpartitions or
chasedin sheathed and plastered in masonry walling.
4)All new sockets to be recessed.
5)Before final fixing of sockets and switches and light fittings allow for clientto mark up
arrangementon site.
6)Allow for attendance on other trades and builders work in connection with theseworks.

GROUNDFLOOR

7)Allow for 6no. new twin sockets to suit new layout in Kitchen area. All aboveworktop.
8)Allow for 2no. new twin sockets to suit layout in Dining Area.
9)Allow to relocate twin socket adjacent D2. Allow for chasing in to plaster asnecessary.
10)Allow for 3 gang 2 way dimmable light switch to wall on right of entry fromhall to cover
2pendant lights for dining area and one set of spots in kitchen area
11)Allow for 3 gang 2 way dimmable light switch to wall on left of entry down toLiving
Roomto cover 2 pendant lights for Dining area and one set of spots in Kitchen area
andthe same to right of entry from Hall
12)Allow to fit and connect recessed spotlights in ceiling and two ceiling pendantlights to
beclient supplied
13) Resite / rearrange telephone socket as required.
14)Install Kitchen unit lighting as required (as provided by client)
15)Install new electric oven and separate hob (as provided by client). Include forresiting
existingcooker switch and fused spur as necessary.
16)Install undersink unvented water heater (unit supplied by client). Allow forrelocation of
fusedspur socket as necessary.
17)Supply and install new extractor fan (unit to be client supplied as part ofkitchen fittings).
18)Install speaker cable (supplied by client) in buried sheathing/trunking to befitted on wall
behindsofa at mid level with appropriate end sockets to run to equipment on opposite
wall.Exact positions to be marked in conjunction with client at first fix phase.
19)As noted on drawings, high level location for projector. Allow for buried powersupply to
socketadjacent and for buried and sheathed HDMI cable to link to AV equipment at
floorlevel on opposite wall. (Exact position to be marked in conjunction with clientat
firstfix phase)
20)Relocate existing drop down projector screen and provide power adjacent with
appropriatesocket buried and sheathed in plaster.

FIRST FLOOR

LANDING

21)Allow to relocate lights, switching and sockets to suit rearranged layout

BATHROOM

22)Allow for single light switch adjacent door to landing on rhs.
23)Allow to fit and connect ceiling light to be client supplied
24)Allow to supply and fit shaver light with vanity cupboard (unit to be clientsupplied)
25)Allow for re-fitting electric towel radiator with timer.
26)Fit Power shower pump to be client supplied. To be sited in Airing cupboard toserve
bothshowers or fit power shower to be client supplied.
27)Allow for supply and fitting of ceiling mounted extract fan, separatelyswitched from pull

BEDROOM 1

28)Allow for 1no. new twin sockets.
29)Allow for refitting of switching.
30)Allow for moving 2no. phone sockets currently sited to LHS of window W22 to be
resited,1no. above current twin socket with 1no. twin socket and phone socket to RHS
ofwindow. Exact positions to be marked by client at first fix stage.
31)Supply and fit 2gang 2way light switch to replace existing adjacent doorentrance.
Switchto control fan/light and light in centre of room independently.

ENSUITE

32)Allow for new light switch in Bedroom adjacent door.
33)Allow to fit and connect 2no. recessed spotlights in ceiling to be clientsupplied
34)Allow to supply and fit shaver socket.
35)Allow to fit vanity light and cupboard, client supplied
36)Allow for supply and fitting electric towel radiator with timer.
37)Allow for supply and fitting of ceiling mounted extract fan, separatelyswitched from pull
38)Allow for supply and fit of wall heater hard wired with fused spur on wall inBedroom
39)Allow for all electrical requirements for power shower.

BEDROOM 2

40)Allow for 3no. new twin sockets to suit new layout as indicated
41)Allow for double light switch to be dimmable as indicated.
42)Allow to fit and connect surface mounted spotlights on ceiling to be clientsupplied
43)Resite / rearrange mains incoming telephone/internet master socket as required.
44) Resite telephone extension socket

STUDY

45)Allow for 3no. new twin sockets to suit new layout as indicated
46)Allow for single light switch to be dimmable as indicated.
47)Allow to fit and connect surface mounted spotlights on ceiling to be clientsupplied
48)Provide telephone/internet socket and cabling as required (location will bebelow W13)
linked to mains incoming phone master socket in Bed 2.
We do not know all the other relevant details,pertaining to this job.....but depending for whom it is for,this one point,alone,could sink you :icon12:

offered to help months ago with excel costing sheet, this is were your time is wasted

You're quite right Tazz, you did offer and sent me a very detailed excel spreadsheet. I'd like to say thanks again for that. I didn't expect this type of job to come along quite so soon..

I didn't read the long list, but its sounds very expensive for whatever it is, I hope its a full rewire with all the trimmings.

Thanks Tom, looks like it might be a bit high then, although they have had one other quote which was for around ÂŁ6000.

So in total how many:

sockets 17
switches 17
light pendents 9
downlights 18
o/s sockets 0
TV points 0
BT points 5
Cooker circuits 1
fans 3
smokes TBA
shower pump 2
Wall/Towel radiator 2
Water heater 1
boiler wiring

Nice if you can get away with it....

I dont want to 'get away with it' RG, I want to fathom a fair yet well paid quote

What you could do with is cost matrix , a comprehensive list of the charges for all that can be installed , it would make your life easier and also could be referred to if questions arise , you could make one up and photocopy it and this can then be used on site and retained for each job you do along with the installation list ...

Reply to Big quote!!!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net