Discuss Failing Apprentice - What to do in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to the forum mate.

What to do with a failing apprentice........ bin him but what are the legal problems that may arise.

Well that is to the point but not very informative.
How is the apprentice failing?
Who is training the apprentice?

same as any other employee.... need to go through the motions. verbal, written warnings... whatever is on the contract.

is he still at college? Can you speak to them about it? Maybe they have had it before and know the correct procedures.

"Failing" in the sense that he can't do the work, or he's too lazy to do the work?

Are they an apprentice with indenture papers from a recognised trade body or union, if so then the procedure will be laid down by that body, if not then its the same as any other employee, two verbal warnings/appraisals, if nothing changes, then one in writing, then meeting with their choice of an other person in attendance, lay out your grievances in all communications and listen to what they have to say, if no resolution can be reached then terminate their employment.

Its probably facebook related, ours is still hopeless and still has the attention span of a tick tock video, we only keep him because 1, he hasn't got attitude and 2, he is cheap labour. I couldn't get a labourer with half a brain to do what he does for the money we give him so stupidity does have its upsides.

Its probably facebook related, ours is still hopeless and still has the attention span of a tick tock video, we only keep him because 1, he hasn't got attitude and 2, he is cheap labour. I couldn't get a labourer with half a brain to do what he does for the money we give him so stupidity does have its upsides.
lets hope hes not a member on here....

Harsh! :)

I'm going to have say that is a pretty unpleasant assessment of someone.

Apprentices are not cheap labour!

Your attitude is disgusting, you are failing the apprentice as much as they are failing themself.

I'm going to have say that is a pretty unpleasant assessment of someone.
It may well be but its pretty accurate. If he is daft enough to not listen and therefore not progress he is going to be on rubbish money forever and if he isn't capable of doing more technical things then all that's left to do is be a van monkey and a brush monkey. The young of today seem to think it works the other way round, ie:- if we give him more money then he will do more stuff, sorry but it doesn't work like that.

Apprentices are not cheap labour!

Your attitude is disgusting, you are failing the apprentice as much as they are failing themself.
Depends what you mean by "apprentice", this isn't some college kid who still needs his nappy changing, he is 19 now and finished his training a year ago, he is just another paid worker now who doesn't take anything on board you tell him but thats his loss, I don't mind if I have to do everything myself, its usually quicker anyway.

Brutal. Too many people with that attitude in this industry at the minute. We were all there once, young lads/ladies all deserve a chance.

It may well be but its pretty accurate. If he is daft enough to not listen and therefore not progress he is going to be on rubbish money forever and if he isn't capable of doing more technical things then all that's left to do is be a van monkey and a brush monkey. The young of today seem to think it works the other way round, ie:- if we give him more money then he will do more stuff, sorry but it doesn't work like that.
Whatever you feel about him I doubt anyone one on here is impressed by your posts. Your negativity about him is a possible reason for the way you say he is and I have pulled many trainees from what I thought were impossible places.

Brutal. Too many people with that attitude in this industry at the minute. We were all there once, young lads/ladies all deserve a chance.
Err... he's had a chance, we took him on. I' ve told him about his phone but he pulls it out of his pocket probably 20 or 30 times a day. He has now taken to hiding behind the van to facebook when he goes to get something.

Once someone has the phone addiction there's no coming back from it no matter what you try, its worse than crack. The only time it will stop is when the inevitably walk out in front of a HGV.

Once someone has the phone addiction there's no coming back from it no matter what you try, its worse than crack. The only time it will stop is when the inevitably walk out in front of a HGV.

It may equally be the case that he has become completely disillusioned by the people he works with and perhaps, at this point, the idea of being an electrician.

Don't get me wrong; I understand that there are young people who lack motivation and have little desire to work, but a good percentage can be turned around. Apprentices aren't cheap labour and I take it he's a PAYE employee earning at least the national living wage.

I'm also at a loss in trying to understand this kid's status. You've posted about him previously, and described him as an apprentice, but today state that he is 19 and has finished his training. At that age he'd have done well to compete an apprecticeship a year early - especially when you describe him as next to useless. Something smells wrong here - either in the details you have related or with his status as an apprentice electrician.

Well what would you call him? He did 2 years at college from 16 to 18, now he works for us. He is just a worker now like every one else. I call him an apprentice because an apprenticeship used to be 7 years long. We pay him NMW.

As for disillusioned, I think he's gutted that the real world isn't the same as the make believe school world that he was used to, he still thinks its a good thing if he gets away with doing nothing all day or for example putting ceiling roses up with just a screw straight into plasterboard. He thinks he has out foxed teacher whilst the reality is its just money down the drain.

There is a reason why when you ask a tradesman would they take on an apprentice 95% of them say "no way man" - they know the score.

Last edited:

Reply to Failing Apprentice - What to do in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net