Discuss Fluke Phase Rotation Testing help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The difference between the Fluke and the Metrel is only how it displays correct and incorrect sequence. Nether meter can 'know' which two lines are swapped if the sequence is incorrect, because it doesn't 'know' which is which in the first place. If the Metrel displays incorrect rotation by showing two specific lines swapped, that's merely symbolic. Swapping any two lines will correct the sequence, although there's only a 1 in 3 chance that they will then all be labelled the same as they are at the incomer.

OTOH I would expect it to correctly flag up a single line fault, as it merely has to detect the lack of voltage, although some MFTs will still show rotation either correct or incorrect even when the voltage symmetry is badly adrift, e.g. with one line probe connected to neutral.

I would agree,that spending a few hours of an evening,having a play,would be time well spent.
I always do this,unless the test instrument or equipment,just won't fit in the lounge....

I remember doing this with one of my Megger mft's,and getting familiar with the alarm limits,polarity reversal,and button functions. It just makes a device more useful,if you can occasionally make good use,of it's capabilities.....which you have paid good money,for :)

How many times,have folk on here,described a particular function,on a MFT,to have it's long-term owner,say "I never knew it did that...";)

Fun fact, most of the liverpool area runs in the wrong direction from the rest of the country.

Happened because of a mistake made years ago when we were transitioning from DC. It' s been the wrong way for so long now correcting it is impossible. The DNO are just aware of it an work around it.
Greater Belfast is the same. It is different to the rest of NI.

Fun fact, most of the liverpool area runs in the wrong direction from the rest of the country.

Happened because of a mistake made years ago when we were transitioning from DC. It' s been the wrong way for so long now correcting it is impossible. The DNO are just aware of it an work around it.
there's a reason for that, Rob. it's because the Mersey flows east to west, unlike the Thames which flows west to nowhere.

Reply to Fluke Phase Rotation Testing help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net