Discuss Fluorescent lights tripping RCD in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

martynb01132

Hi all I fitted 3 5FT fluorecent fittings in a garage, I removed 3 batten fitting so it was a straight swap, problem is when customer switches on the lights the RCD in the house trips. Should these lights go on the non RCD side

Hi all I fitted 3 5FT fluorecent fittings in a garage, I removed 3 batten fitting so it was a straight swap, problem is when customer switches on the lights the RCD in the house trips. Should these lights go on the non RCD side

If you're asking that, should you have fitted the lights in the first place?

Could you have trapped a cable in one of the fittings?

Did you do a N-E IR test?

I have to agree with IQ Electrical, this is very basic and if you areasking this then you probably should have done this work. If these lights are tripping the RCD then there is a fault. Either in the wiring or with 1 or more of the lights. As previosly stated you need to IR test the circuit. split the circuit and test at different points.

Thanks for your reply to my question on fluorescent lights tripping RCD. Further to this the customer has informed me the lights were not switched on when the RCD tripped. They were a replacement for 3 battens on existing wiring controlled from a switched fused spur connected on the RCD side of the DB. I know this type of switch isolate both lines when off. So how does this cause the RCD to trip, if these lights are to blame.

is it a double pole FCU? most are only single pole. also, it's possible a faulty RCD. or as previously stated , a fault on the work you have done. only way is to IR the circuit and go from there.

Last edited:

Reply to Fluorescent lights tripping RCD in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net