Discuss Friedland type 4 bypass in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm trying to connect a Ring wired doorbell and have a Friedland Type 4 chime. According to the (awful) instructions I need to use the bypass cable and attach 2 of these wires to bypass the chime. Would someone have a look at my photo and tell me which wires to join? Is it the ones going to 0 and 3? There isn't one going to T2 so that narrows it down 🙂
Thank you in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20220523_092835_resized_20220523_094740652.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 14
I seem to be answering about one of these a week!
Yes, the instructions from Ring just make a simple task appear complicated, so should be placed in the bin. All you are trying to do is to connect the two wires from the transformer directly to the two wires that go to the original bell push, taking the old chime completely out of circuit, but including the 'link' wire supplied, which I think is an inline fuse.
In your case, disconnect 0 and 3, and join them together via the two Wagos and the link wire. This leaves the other two wires still connected to the chime at terminal 1, which is fine, but if you want to remove the chime altogether, just disconnect the wires from one and join them together with another Wago or a piece of 'choc bloc'.

Yes, the instructions from Ring just make a simple task appear complicated, so should be placed in the bin. All you are trying to do is to connect the two wires from the transformer directly to the two wires that go to the original bell push, taking the old chime completely out of circuit, but including the 'link' wire supplied, which I think is an inline fuse.
In your case, disconnect 0 and 3, and join them together via the two Wagos and the link wire. This leaves the other two wires still connected to the chime at terminal 1, which is fine, but if you want to remove the chime altogether, just disconnect the wires from one and join them together with another Wago or a piece of 'choc bloc'.

I think you need to send your revised instructions to the manufacturer! Seems like there is a need for a rewrite.

Thank you Brian, worked perfectly!

I think you need to send your revised instructions to the manufacturer! Seems like there is a need for a rewrite.
Hi I think I’m experiencing the same problem as you with the Freidland Type 4 chime. Can I ask if your trying to connect a Ring Video 2nd Generation bell push.? If so, did Brians solution work in terms of the bell chimes working. I think I’ve read everything about the latter everything seems to point to having to have an 8v to 24v chime, whereas ours is only up to 16v. If it did could you send me an idiots guide to what you actually did as I have limited electrical experience. Thanks in advance.
PS I what a Wago is either.
andy

Hi I think I’m experiencing the same problem as you with the Freidland Type 4 chime. Can I ask if your trying to connect a Ring Video 2nd Generation bell push.? If so, did Brians solution work in terms of the bell chimes working. I think I’ve read everything about the latter everything seems to point to having to have an 8v to 24v chime, whereas ours is only up to 16v. If it did could you send me an idiots guide to what you actually did as I have limited electrical experience. Thanks in advance.
PS I what a Wago is either.
andy

It wasn't me, I just commented on the thread.

Wagos are an alternative method to standard connector blocks to join wires together. Have a Google and you will see examples of them. They are very good.

I'm trying to connect a Ring wired doorbell and have a Friedland Type 4 chime. According to the (awful) instructions I need to use the bypass cable and attach 2 of these wires to bypass the chime. Would someone have a look at my photo and tell me which wires to join? Is it the ones going to 0 and 3? There isn't one going to T2 so that narrows it down 🙂
Thank you in advance

regards
andy

Reply to Friedland type 4 bypass in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net