Discuss Garage Install Queries in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

steviec_lj

Hi guys,

Been having a think about this one, and have come up with the following question.

I'm wiring up the garage to the house supply eventually, using 16mm 2-Core SWA fed between the joists, and out of the exterior wall, over the flat roof, clipped round and down to ground level, then buried for the entire 50mtr run. Earth Spike will be installed at the garage end, this is mainly due to distance.

Now, I intend to have the meter tails split, via Henley Block, then one set of tails off to the House CU, and another set of tails off to a Switch Fuse of some sort, but they're so damn expensive for the 60a ones.

So my though is, could I installed a Metal 2 way CCU and add a 60a DP Isolator? Or would I then need to install a 63a MCB or at worst an RCD?

The garage CU will be a 21 way Metal unit, due to needing quite a few dedicated circuits for Part Washers, Compressors, Welders and Extraction Units. Its also quite large, as in 9mtr x 6mtr roughly, so would I be OK installing 2 ring mains in the main garage area? They will be seperate from each other, 1 ring on the bench work near the entrance doors, and ring 2 towards the rear of the garage where another bench is located.

Current circuits for those interested stands at:

6a MCB Exterior lighting. 1x 120w Halogen & PIR, 1x 70w Metal Halide.
6a MCB Interior lighting. 9x 5' Florries, 1x Pendant.
6a MCB Bench lighting. 5x 4' Florries.
6a MCB Store Room lighting. 1x 6' Twin Florrie.
6a MCB Alarm.
6a MCB Parts Washer.
6a MCB Air Extraction Unit.
16a MCB Roof Radial. 3x Double Socket.
16a MCB Store Room Radial. 3x Double Socket.
16a MCB Battery Tool Charger Radial. 3x Double Socket.
20a MCB Bench 1 16a Sockets. 2x 16a Outlets.
20a MCB Bench 2 16a Sockets. 2x 16a Outlets.
20a MCB Central Radial. 3x Double Socket, 1x 16a Outlet.
32a MCB Bench 1 Ring. 6x Double Socket.
32a MCB Bench 2 Ring. 8x Double Socket.
32a MCB 3hp Compressor. 1x 32a Outlet.

May have to combine a couple of circuits yet, as I've got a Main Switch and 2 RCD's to fit in the board, unless I use RCBO's throughout. Increase in costs, but makes termination easy, and allows for discrimination across the board.

Total load of all items in the garage is as follows;

Exterior lighting. 190w
Interior lighting. 582w
Bench lighting. 180w
Store Room lighting. 140w
Extractor. 180w
Alarm. 50w (Guess, as they pull around 15mA at 12v)
Parts Washer. 50w
Air Extraction Unit. 180w
3hp Compressor. 2850w
Mini Mig. 3000w
Mini Tig. 3000w
Pillar Drill. 800w
Bench Grinder. 500w
Assortment of tools, handheld grinder, corded drills, etc. 6000w

Total: 17702w

This is way above what it will ever get near, as I simply won't have the compressor, both welders, all lighting, pillar drill grinders, corded drills, bench grinder, parts washer, etc running at the same time as I can't be in 9 places at once. So I figure that the maximum demand I will have is;

Exterior lighting. 190w
Interior lighting. 582w
Bench lighting. 180w
Extractor. 180w
Store Room lighting. 140w
Alarm. 50w (Guess, as they pull around 15mA at 12v)
Parts Washer. 50w
Air Extraction Unit. 180w
3hp Compressor. 2850w
Mini Mig. 3000w

Total: 7402w + 20% for unforseen circumstances = 8882.4w

SWA will be terminated in to Metal Clad units at both ends, so the steel braiding will be connected to earthing systems at both ends of the cable.

Looking at the above, I guess I could combine the entire lighting circuit on to one MCB/RCBO device to save a little space.

Reply to Garage Install Queries in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net