Discuss Getting nowhere ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

GWSparky

Hi guys,

I'm 24 years of age, based in north wales / Chester.

I've been qualified since around this time in 2011. JIB Gold.

I'm apprenticeship time served, had no luck with companises since the firm I served my apprenticeship with. Mainly due to false promises and terrible money offers !

Now I've been doing this agency thing for quite a while, I'd say my electrical experience I've covered quite a lot, from wiring council houses, big megawatt photovoltiac systems for Toyota and now just finished some installing for Bentley motors.

I don't seem to be getting anywhere, its the same old ****, promised four weeks or four months then out of nowhere the dreaded no more work !

I can't start my own firm due to financial problems, but this agency **** really bugs me. promised the world and given a peanut, they moan when you have a day off but as soon as you're laid off or work is finished they don't bother to contact you or even help you.

It's almost embarrassing that I find myself begging for jobs..

Back to joining a firm I waited one year to join one company, and the owner turned out to be an -------, miss priced jobs so he thought it was reasonable to deduct my wages.

Anyways, I'm struggling to find positives, I like working as an electrician it can be rewarding and I generally like a challenge but since 2011, I have struggled to find somewhere I like or if I have liked the place its been very short based circumstances.

Considering abroad, actually I don't even know what to consider to be honest, anyone out there with the same problem or any tips ?

kind regards

There is GOOD and BAD in every thing and no such thing as SURE THING.

Dream Job working for a Big Ish Company that leaves you to do the Job.

Options:

Out of the UK, NZ AUS Carbiainas etc (i did once applie for a job in George Town, figured might get a interview and i could get the job center to pay :D ) Risk always that work drying up and ditched in a strange country were they talk funny.

Move to the work, stay in digs were needed, young and the money maybe better, wil like always have bad bosses and risk not getting paid full or any amount.

Self Employed, Finding work and such, cuts out the ----er boss bit tho, and the wage is more depending on how hard you work to find work and do it. Risks Finding work, Credit.

Companies, Small company i think risk a bit of them not doing things Correct, trying to cut corners, i guess same with big compaines but hope you get paid more and get wages. Send your CV out to them if they want it or not.

I think you know all the ways you can make a living but RISK in every thing, go for one and try.

Try to keep positive, it is a sad fact that if someone is down then others will keep them down.
If you can manage to approach things in a positive way then you may be more likely to succeed.
I realize this is difficult to do when everything seems against you but do try.

Since you have been doing agency work you should have got to know a few companies that need electricians, so it may be worth contacting some of these firms to see if they might consider a permanent addition to their workforce to make their operation more cost effective and efficient.
Though not ones that you have worked through the agency for recently.

Try and expand the area of employers within which you are looking, consider companies that may need electricians on a more fringe basis.
Letting agents, large industrial operations, councils, etc.

Always word your letters positively, make statements of capability without qualification and avoid mentioning previously bad employment or describe it in different terms, e.g.
I have really not had luck with agencies as they are only short term jobs and not good with flexibility.
does not sound as appealing as
I have expanded my skill set with a wide range of jobs provided by agencies and now feel it is time for me to be able to develop these skills in a stable environment such as your company.

Good luck and do not give up either mentally or physically.
All the best.

Hi guys,

I'm 24 years of age, based in north wales / Chester.

I've been qualified since around this time in 2011. JIB Gold.

I'm apprenticeship time served, had no luck with companises since the firm I served my apprenticeship with. Mainly due to false promises and terrible money offers !

Now I've been doing this agency thing for quite a while, I'd say my electrical experience I've covered quite a lot, from wiring council houses, big megawatt photovoltiac systems for Toyota and now just finished some installing for Bentley motors.

I don't seem to be getting anywhere, its the same old ****, promised four weeks or four months then out of nowhere the dreaded no more work !

I can't start my own firm due to financial problems, but this agency **** really bugs me. promised the world and given a peanut, they moan when you have a day off but as soon as you're laid off or work is finished they don't bother to contact you or even help you.

It's almost embarrassing that I find myself begging for jobs..

Back to joining a firm I waited one year to join one company, and the owner turned out to be an -------, miss priced jobs so he thought it was reasonable to deduct my wages.

Anyways, I'm struggling to find positives, I like working as an electrician it can be rewarding and I generally like a challenge but since 2011, I have struggled to find somewhere I like or if I have liked the place its been very short based circumstances.

Considering abroad, actually I don't even know what to consider to be honest, anyone out there with the same problem or any tips ?

kind regards
You may have to move away from the area to find work, not being anti north wales but to be frank there isn't much there, if you movedto the south of England you would find plenty of work, a good spark always finds plenty of work in the South, sorry if I have offended you but thats my view.

I was just about to comment on your location but Mike beat me to it ( he always does!! ) and he is probably right you may have to relocate to find the work you desire.
But good luck either way and don't give up if it's what you want.

London or South East would be a good place to base yourself for some job hunting, either that or just set up on your own. You've got nothing to lose. Good luck and keep positive.

London or South East would be a good place to base yourself for some job hunting, either that or just set up on your own. You've got nothing to lose. Good luck and keep positive.
That won't do him much good with his location, I expect there is already enough companies up there at his location and taking on a risky punt because he is struggling to find work now will be suicide.

Was wondering about London area myself, Holiday lets out of Season. Mon-Thur (would be just outside maybe) looking about 65-70/4 days an just cram as much as you can in them days. You will have to set up jobs waiting for you, get the Carvan or room for the 4 days and Go of it

i get daily email notification of jobs in cheshire area from indeed and jobrapido. sign up to them.

Reply to Getting nowhere ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net