Discuss getting qualified in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sonic_m1etn

Hello all,

I am looking at getting qualified to be able to work as an electrician, and wondering the best route, without having to give up my current job until i get all the bits of paper.

Bit of back ground. I am a telecom engineer, and completed my apprenticeship in 2000, part of this was sparking (to the 16th edition), as telco kit needs power. I didn't get any C&G for this as it was part of the over all NVQ2 and NVQ3 in telecoms.

Unfortunately in 2002 I got made redundant, and have for the past 16 or so years been doing CCTV on London buses! I am looking at getting back on the tools now, as the current job is taking its toll (mentally and physically - I just cant be doing driving round London all day, and the stress is not doing me any good)

Sparking experience in my 36 years was helped by my grandpa (which I know is totally not relevant now) but he taught me a lot, (old skool take pride in cable forming etc) as he was a spark, from the days of DC in the dark ages. I've done PAT for local sailing base for years, re-wired my house (which I had the LA in to assess - no probs), done a few consumer unit changes (before part P and the 17th though)
I also currently, repair consumer electronics as a part time job for a bit of extra income.

So with that bit of back ground what would be the best route to take. The 17th is a must, but any other course I should look at.

I have to (as best as can) stay employed while I do these though, as I have mortgage, wife, a 4 year old and baby twins which must come first

Many thanks for any advice.

Dan

Hi.
Thank you for the info, I'll have a read of the link Neil posted above.

The second route might be the best achievable route, as I can't afford to jack my current job in to do the full apprenticeship, unless I get made redundant!!
With out reading the link yet, I was searching around while on lunch at work, and found loads of courses like this:
Domestic Installers Course (New Entrant Route)

would that get me in the right direction? Funding of the courses are not going to be a major problem, as some family members said they would fund it....I think even they can see the stress in current job is taking is toll, and know I've always been trying to find ways to get qualified, but know how difficult it is with all the financial commitments I have (since I got made redundant)

Thanks again, I'm off to check out that link

Cheers
Dan

Reply to getting qualified in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net