Discuss Gumtree cowboy in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Powerhouseelec

I was browsing gum tree earlier and se an add for db changes special offer, obviously had a look and they are offering db change for £200 all in. The worrying part is that in brackets was £150 with no cert. The picture he put on was a before and after of a db with the cables pulled into it then connected up. you could see carpet in the background of both as in it was on the floor with no screws in the holes. so either its a little project he's done in his bedroom for the benefit of gumtree or they are wiring up the db the screwing to the wall ??? who knows??? Any way I text him saying are you registered for part P, he comes back with I was NIC domestic installer but now in on Birmingham city councils database and just sign of that way. My question is surely they charge because at he's only allowed £50 for the cert and I assume that includes the testing time etc and or is he talking rubbish. Who do I complain to, my hope was when he said I'm with who ever id get on the phone to them to let them know he thinks a certificate is an optional extra.

sorry mate, no one cares. part pee is there to make money off hard working people and building control is not much interested in cowboys.

Its just useless, when I say I want x amount to change a DB and say itll take however long, they think I'm the rip off merchant. Not to mention I only get good boards with enough ways and loads of spare for the future. I suppose I just wanted to rant.

I get a significant proportion of my business from world of mouth and repeat business - if people place ads like this it doesn't say much about their customer relations skill set!

Off topic...

And to put it polietly ........ theres a complete spastic 'electrician' (notice the inverted commas) around these ends that takes his wifes to job interviews with him. She sit's there and says how good at electrics he is.

Not even lieing - hope he looks at this forum - you know who you are, you are a nobhead.

- - - Updated - - -

Off topic to the OP - but was said in relation to Murdoch's customer relation point

:)

Sad story, but unfortunatley for him, its a true one.

I've had customer's complain about the cost when I've offered (4way board change - smallish property) to do a swap for just under £300 including all parts, testing and labour........
Noticed B&Q had a sign "fusebox upgrades from £500 odd quid".....wonder what "immediate work" will get tacked on at the last minute to take the bill to 4 figures?

I've had customer's complain about the cost when I've offered (4way board change - smallish property) to do a swap for just under £300 including all parts, testing and labour........
Noticed B&Q had a sign "fusebox upgrades from £500 odd quid".....wonder what "immediate work" will get tacked on at the last minute to take the bill to 4 figures?

Quite alot of tw*ts around here price jobs like that to get them.

Then they charge double as much for 'unforseen circumstances'

Just be upfront with the client in the first place - not difficult.

wild east london -
having your job signed off £100, and those guys dont ask too many questions. needed most for insurance papers or council - most of clients around not interested in getting any paperwork for the job. they just want it done and working.

quoting £100 for a eicr is too much, looks like standard around is much much lower.

£200 for a board change is the norm my way bloody joke. As for reporting him no one gives a hoot. There's a plumber my way with nic stickers on his van and he is not a member doing shady leccy work, again no one cares.

£200 for a board change is the norm my way bloody joke. As for reporting him no one gives a hoot. There's a plumber my way with nic stickers on his van and he is not a member doing shady leccy work, again no one cares.

Report him to the NIC - they WILL act on misuse of their logo. Shame they can't be arsed about dodgy trades people.

He has been reported a couple of times over last two years, nothing ever happens. We were even called to a shower install that he did where there was almost a fire because of him and they still did nothing.

lol nice one.
Unbelievable this plumber - for years he was not even gas safe and yet he still carried on fitting boilers guess what happened to him when reported. He was given a mentor to get him through his gas safe - I kid you not WTF
He employs 4 guys and is busy as hell, incredible.

Reply to Gumtree cowboy in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net