Discuss Help Buying tools/Equipment for somebody nearly through 2330 level 2! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mazza

Hi everyone

Im hoping i can get some really good advice of you all if possible please. Im currently doing part time evening course 2330 level 2 and im nearing the end of it! Hopefully ill pass and move on to 2330 level 3 and also do 17th edition to become domestic installer!

Im wanting to start buying some tools/Equipment bit by bit each month over the next year and was hoping you can all tell me what i should be buying please?

I was bought at xmas the Ck Tools electricians Premium tool kit consisting of:

T1630 - Technician's Tool Case

- 160mm RedLine VDE CombiCutter3
431013 - 175mm RedLine VDE Snipe Nose Pliers
431003 - 205mm RedLine VDE Combination Pliers

T49142-1 - PH1 Dextro VDE Screwdriver
T49142-2á- PH2 Dextro VDE Screwdriver
T49143-1á- PZ1 Dextro VDE Screwdriver
T49143-2á- PZ2 Dextro VDE Screwdriver

T49144-025á- 2.5 x 75mm Slotted Dextro VDE Screwdriver
T49144-040á- 4.0 x 100mm Slotted Dextro VDE Screwdr
iver
T49145-2á- Size 2 Dextro Modulo Terminal Screwdriver

T3442 16 - Softech Tape Measure - 5 Metre (16')
440009 - VDE Mainstester
T0834 - Junior Hacksaw
T3482 - Pocket Level
495001 - Automatic Wire Stripper
T4230 16 - 16oz Claw Hammer
495028 - Re-Threading Tool

What else should i start getting??

Testing equipment or ratchet crimpers and terminal set?

Any help would be great guys!!

Thanks​

a decent MFT is essential. i recommend the megger 1552

Throw away the vde mains tester and buy a proper approved voltage tester. By taking this advice you might live longer.

Thanks Guys. Forgot to say my father in law gave me;

Fluke 175 multimeter
Robin KTS 1610 Multi Function Tester

Are these worth keeping or are they a bit dated??
Was also looking at buying the Kewtech Socket testers etc and R2 wander lead? But not sure if thats right thing i need to be getting!!??

Thanks

use the lump hammer and bolster chisel that you will need for house bashing to crush it.

Start saving the pennies to purchase good quality Combination and SDS Drills... lol!!
One thing that will be worth it's weight in gold in your testing kit, is an earth leakage current clamp, and can suggest with confidence, the current Dilog unit....

You need steps as well, I have a small alli platform and 2 step ladders, 3 step and 5 step fibreglass ones for indoor use and steps and long ladders for outdoor use.

just out of interest why are you doing the 2330 level 2 and 3 without going all the way to becoming a real electrician rather than a domestic installer? or do you mean you intend on becoming an electrician intent on doing electrical work in domestic rather than commercial or industrial etc??

This is one of the most handy tools to keep in your tool
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Also i would recommend this screw driver set, as they are slimmer, and the heads fit a lot nicer into most common heads such as a socket screw, or consumer unit. .
Bahco VDE 1000v Screwdriver Set 7pc (Formerly Irazola) on eBay!

This is the best tape measure as you can use it at long distances, if you are working by your self (handy when doing downlights)
STANLEY 33-891 FATMAX XTREME TAPE 8M | eBay

This spirit level is very handy to keep in bad. It also has a reallu strong magnet onit, that comes in handy. Also it is very precise.
Stanley FatMax XL 12" 305mm Torpedo Spirit Level NEW | eBay

Also other essentials are:
A good pair of long nose pliers (CK are very good)
Cripmers and crimps
Adjustable self grip wrench (like the ones plumbers use on pipes)
CK pliers

This will be enough to get you started.

Also remember do not buy unbranded cheap tools, they will not last 2 mins and are sometimes not correctly insulated and could cost you your life!

Good luck.

If doing house bashing mostly then:
Rip Saw
Wall chaser
Good industrial hoover
Decent Kango

And has been said chuck away that mains tester and use something decent!

Reply to Help Buying tools/Equipment for somebody nearly through 2330 level 2! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net