Discuss Help on required qualifications in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi! Just wondering if anyone here can help. When I first left school I was working for a refrigeration firm wiring panels, first fixing bits and bobs and wiring control panels. I was also studying at college (I believe it was 2330?) NVQ and city and guilds. I completed two years but wasn't allowed to complete my 3rd as I was needed to work the Friday which I normally went college. Since then I've worked different jobs completely so my actual knowledge of how to be an electrician is very low. Does anybody know what further qualifications and training I would need to be fully qualified and what sort of training I'd need? Also at 28 is anybody likely to take me on and what wage could I expect both during and after training and qualifying?

Hope we someone can give me some advice.

Thanks in advance!

Depending on how long ago you were at college you may be able to just sit the last year, In which time, depending on your work you may also be able to complete the NVQ, Which will lead to your AM2. When I was at college we had a few people who had been laid off then came back to college a year or two later to finish off etc.

We also had a few people who were in their late 20's and early 30's with families etc, and although Im sure the money was a squeeze they survived. Depending on your existing knowledge some companies may offer to pay more with you being a bit older.

A good start would be to refresh your knowledge of the electrical world and the changes that have taken place since you last trained.

The 2330 has now gone and has been replaced with 2365 (or 2357), you would need to complete level three of this (and any catch up modules that have changed since 2330, if the college accepts your current training level)
Then map your training over to the 2357 to complete the NVQ and AM2, which would need real world demonstration of competencies.

It would also be a good idea to also take the 17th edition amendment 3 exam to get a job relevant piece of paper.

Age 28 is above the level where easy funding is available so finding a place may take time and effort and, unfortunately, a lot of frustration.
You would probably need to start as a mate or improver and the wages would not be high to start with but should improve after the end of the level 3.

After qualifying wages are very variable and it would be best to search online for an electricians wage comparison site and then knock 20% off whatever they tell you!

Hi Neil,

thanks for for the reply. I completed 2 years which was level 2 NVQ and also the city and guilds. What would I need to become qualified to work on domestic properties only?

Reply to Help on required qualifications in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net