Discuss Hi guys l just wanted to ask a question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I’d say it’d depend on whether you intend to use the low smoke white sheathed T&E, or the old obsolete white sheathed with red and black insulation on the conductors.

I assume it's either white pvc,or white lsf in new colours, both are ok.

There is no restriction in the colours (of the outer sheath) that may be used.

Although, if you are wiring smoke alarms, you ought to use a different colour than other circuits, it is common to use red 3c+E; but this isn't available in twin and earth only grey and white.

Last edited:
I’d say it’d depend on whether you intend to use the low smoke white sheathed T&E, or the old obsolete white sheathed with red and black insulation on the conductors.
It is white sheathed t&e lsf l think this type of cable is mostly used in commercial properties rather than domestic l was just curoius if it is allowed to be used in domestic a friend is building an extention and it happen that he has got a few drums of that type of cable and doesnt know if he can use it or not,

It is white sheathed t&e lsf l think this type of cable is mostly used in commercial properties rather than domestic l was just curoius if it is allowed to be used in domestic a friend is building an extention and it happen that he has got a few drums of that type of cable and doesnt know if he can use it or not,
It’ll be absolutely fine to use.

I assume it's either white pvc,or white lsf in new colours, both are ok.

There is no restriction in the colours that may be used.

Although, if you are wiring smoke alarms, you ought to use a different colour than other circuits, it is common to use red 3c+E; but this isn't available in twin and earth only grey and white.
It is white sheathed t&e lsf new colours, l think this type of cable is mostly used in commercial properties rather than domestic l was just curoius if it is allowed to be used in domestic a friend is building an extention and it happen that he has got a few drums of that type of cable and doesnt know if he can use it or not,

It is white sheathed t&e lsf new colours, l think this type of cable is mostly used in commercial properties rather than domestic l was just curoius if it is allowed to be used in domestic a friend is building an extention and it happen that he has got a few drums of that type of cable and doesnt know if he can use it or not,
Perfectly fine, in fact lsf is probably better/safer than pvc, although either could be used.

The difference in price is next to nothing, used to like working with white T&E good for the surface jobs, alas its frowned upon these days to clip direct surface, got to use mini turk.!!

Reply to Hi guys l just wanted to ask a question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net