Discuss Hi to all, now why I joined this site in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

ART338WM

I am a electrician who finds himself in need of a great deal more training in the field of industrial electrical troubleshooting. Although I have almost two and a half decades of experience in installing and wiring electrical equipment for heavy industry, I have vary little troubleshooting experience of this equipment.

I have a great willingness to learn, but unfortunately where I work there are no additional company training programs and save for one or two co workers who help when I ask, I am totally on my own in learning the skills I need to be a first rate electrician. Bottom line is the attitude of 99% of mu co-workers is they are paid to fix things, not teach people like me for free. The company I work for did put me through a good apprentice program, but all my instruction was on DC electrical equipment and 98% of the equipment I work on is AC. Also where I work is a mix of vintage electrical technology from the 50's and 60's up to the latest PLC's and frequency drives, and everything in between.

So could someone with a high level of experience recommend to me the best how to books on teaching one self electrical trouble shooting starting with the basics of heavy industrial electrical control systems for 3 phase 460 volt AC wound rotor motors.

I would rate my self as still a beginner as a maintenance electrician who's job is high pressure troubleshooting of electrical equipment when it suddenly and unexpectedly fails and if not returned to normal working order WILL cause a stoppage in production that costs literally, no joking thousands of dollars lost per minuet. Where I work, it is SOP that any production stoppages longer then 10 minuets corporate HQ is automatically notified per preset computer programming.

I am finally going to collage to learn industrial electrical systems, but I wish to maximize my rate of education.

So what are some of the better entry level how to books on heavy industrial electrical troubleshooting as well as other websites like this one, and any how to videos on youtube would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Arthur.

Welcome to the forum.

Firstly just to make sure your aware, this is a UK based forum which anchors itself around the British Standards 7671 for Electrical installation so replies and responses to future questions may not be tailored for your country although the general nature of your query shouldn't be an issue at the moment.

The best way to learn trouble shooting is experience, you may find it hard to source any real info regarding motor, Industrial control system, plc etc when it comes to fault finding because the subject is so vast and the variations of machinery control is unlimited it becomes a hard subject to cover in any detail.

Take a motor overload tripping for instance - I could list 10 common reasons this may occur and what measures to take but its all down to the individual set-up to give any real answers of what to look for and how to rectify it.

PLC's are usually very reliable but outputs can fail if subjected to a fault or excessive switching if relay based... now if designed correctly the plc will be used to switch an external stand alone relay, contactor etc to pass on any problematic items that may be prone to failure, heavy inrush currents etc... a large number of PLC's will be programmed and locked so even with the right kit to access the PLC it will be password protected and limits your interaction with them and if lack of drawings etc is the issue sometimes it just comes down to the good old fashion method of operating limits etc one by one and seeing which inputs go high by using the LED's, screen or good old fashioned multi meter to try draw up a map of command source and outputs - usually you will have an indication if an output is supposed to be high and using your multi meter you can confirm what you are been told, so regardless of restricted access to the actual program you can usually still work things out up to a point.

My advice would be to read up on basic motor theory and their associated controls but again because its such a massive field to cover its hard to recommend specific books or sites - if you find your coming across certain motors a lot at work then in your spare time read up on them and also look into things like belts for pulleys, trouble shooting them, how to set them up correctly etc things like this can ensure a motor will do its job correctly without too much issue... the amount of times I've seen incorrectly lashed up pulleys ...well alot!

Thank you for your reply. I am aware this is a UK sight, but it was the best sight of it's kind I have found thus far. At this point in my education I am simply looking for general trouble shooting info, more of a over all methodology to develop a general approach to troubleshooting. I mostly deal with large (40 to 60 ton) AC over head cranes that use older technologies of older style relays, ice cube relays, contacters, pneumatic and electrical timers, SCR's, rectifiers, solenoids just to name a few. As well as more complicated components that make up the control circuit for the 3 phase 460 volt wound rotor motors that power the hoist, bridge and trolley functions. As I said, I have little practical training for troubleshooting overhead cranes, and no real class room instruction of same. I would say at least 95%+ of all my training OTJ, the quality of which is totally dependent on my co-worker of the moment willingness to teach, which to date has been (putting it mildly) sadly lacking.

If I am to maximize my potential as a problem solving AKA troubleshooting electrician, it will be 100% up to me to do what it takes to get the education and training to do so. I'm starting this fall a two year program that will give me training in installation, integration and trouble shooting of robotics, pneumatics, PLC's, fluid control systems. but until then I need to dramatically increase my over all trouble shooting abilities.

Again thanks for your input.
Art

I respect your enthusiam here but you need to limit your scope somewhat because the learning curve is very large for each area and trying or wanting to know it all will just overwhelm you and make you feel beaten ... It will probably in realistic terms take over 10yrs to reach a comfort mark of been able to resolve most of the faults and alterations that you get called to, there are very strict regulations over here for getting involved in Machinery and their control systems and that where you want to start.. find your own relevent regulations and become familiar with them.... when you start reading up on it all it will quickly dawn on you the complexity of this side of the Industry. Im on my 25yr and still hiting a steep learning curve and will never get anywhere close to knowing everything I need before retiring so I limit the fields I work in and become stronger in them as oppose to less knowledged in more areas.

Last edited:

Reply to Hi to all, now why I joined this site in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net