Discuss High Ze reading fails EICR in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ok I pressed he to send it over but this does not look right, I’ve seen he haven’t put in values for R1 R2 and also no test values for RCD, please see attachment. Is this is how the report should have been done or this guy is a cowboy? Also there’s not any c1, c2 or c3 codes with the observation sheet. When he was here he said everything is ok and he have put in notes that installation is ok but pending rewiring in the stairway. He said he’s registered with niceic and that was the reason I choose him. Please any opinion or I am overthinking?

IMG_9923.jpeg

That schedule is totally incomplete.
RCD types, continuity for the ring finals which I assume you have, R1+R2, RCD readings all N/A when that should not be the case.
The Ze should be a Code 2 minimum.
I would be questioning this.

Apologies if I missed it, but how long was the electrician on site? To complete the above table of results, they'd need to be there around half a day (assuming 1 person).

Ok thanks, appreciate you’re taking time to answer.

Westward10 I will confront him about the luck of readings.

He was there for around 2 hours. I’ve seen he tripped the RCD with his diagnostic tool. I seen he was plugging he’s machine into sockets. However, I don’t believe he did any insulation test or r1 r2 for lighting circuits as I was around and didn’t see him taking off any of the accessories.

Also the report says water mains and gas are bonded but I just checked and there are no water main bond due to the incoming pipe is made of PVC

Just reading #6
''He conducted R1+R2 tests for all circuits and mentioned that the resistance readings were acceptable. He also tested the RCDs, and all the tests passed, as did the insulation resistance tests''.
You, or he, seem to know what's involved regarding the tests.
It seems pretty obvious that it is a sub main problem of some sort......then again, looking at those results, who knows?
It would be interesting to know where the sub mains to each flat are fed from and how the splitting occurs.
I'm wondering, here......
What 'instrument' did he plug in.... a socket tester for polarity???
How much did he charge for the supposed EICR?

OK, so issues of this particular inspection scenario aside, when is an Earth not an Earth?

Many have suggested (rightly so) a temporary lashup with a rod and S-Type to TT it until it gets fixed. If the 'new' rod has an Ra of 50-60-70Ω that's considered entirely fine as it's under the magic 200Ω but is clearly worse than the original value of 15Ω. Yet we say we can't rely on an RCD for fault protection due to 'lack' of an Earth. At least the 15Ω gets you a pefc of 16A which clearly will take out an RCD.

My apologies, let me get this right. The electrician is refusing to issue an EICR,

OK, so issues of this particular inspection scenario aside, when is an Earth not an Earth?

Many have suggested (rightly so) a temporary lashup with a rod and S-Type to TT it until it gets fixed. If the 'new' rod has an Ra of 50-60-70Ω that's considered entirely fine as it's under the magic 200Ω but is clearly worse than the original value of 15Ω. Yet we say we can't rely on an RCD for fault protection due to 'lack' of an Earth. At least the 15Ω gets you a pefc of 16A which clearly will take out an RCD.

But it is unknown as to why an earth that would have been under 0.8 ohms has become 15 ohms, it could be a solid 15 ohms or be very unstable.

An earth rod would likely be higher yes, but it would be stable and a known quantity.

But it is unknown as to why an earth that would have been under 0.8 ohms has become 15 ohms, it could be a solid 15 ohms or be very unstable.

An earth rod would likely be higher yes, but it would be stable and a known quantity.
That's a fair point, although you'd think that the DNO would have checked several times before committing to a renewal?

That's a fair point, although you'd think that the DNO would have checked several times before committing to a renewal?
If it is 80+ year old cable and earth failing they are unlikely to check why, beyond a quick check at the cutout, so just proceed to schedule replacement?

Just reading #6
''He conducted R1+R2 tests for all circuits and mentioned that the resistance readings were acceptable. He also tested the RCDs, and all the tests passed, as did the insulation resistance tests''.
You, or he, seem to know what's involved regarding the tests.
It seems pretty obvious that it is a sub main problem of some sort......then again, looking at those results, who knows?
It would be interesting to know where the sub mains to each flat are fed from and how the splitting occurs.
I'm wondering, here......
What 'instrument' did he plug in.... a socket tester for polarity???
How much did he charge for the supposed EICR?
I was told about the r1 r2 being acceptable but after doing some research I’m starting to doubt if he did that for all circuits as I didn’t see him taking off any light fittings. He plugged in his megger, the same he used to trip the RCDs.

I was charged £160 for the job

Reply to High Ze reading fails EICR in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net