Discuss Horror Pictures in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SIIVION

ELECTRICAL
Thought I'd share some photo's from 2007... trying photobucket for the first time...nope that didn't work... hmmm, trying again...
http://s1211.photobucket.com/user/SIIVION/slideshow/ELECTRICAL

Viewing as photobucket slideshow

Last edited by a moderator:
Short contract.
First day they wanted me to just get on and wire a few things which were unrelated to any of the pictures but being a responsible Electrician and naturally inquisitive I wandered the site at lunch time and made a list of the urgent jobs and the small amount of materials needed to facilitate(only about £20). Manager was ignorant, not happy and told me to do what I was here for!
Next day I said I can not work here unless all these jobs are done, particularly the exposed live wiring. That afternoon I was 'asked to leave' and not welcome back on site.

HSE advised, guess they followed it up. Never asked.

Shortest contract of my career! :)

Short contract.
First day they wanted me to just get on and wire a few things which were unrelated to any of the pictures but being a responsible Electrician and naturally inquisitive I wandered the site at lunch time and made a list of the urgent jobs and the small amount of materials needed to facilitate(only about £20). Manager was ignorant, not happy and told me to do what I was here for!
Next day I said I can not work here unless all these jobs are done, particularly the exposed live wiring. That afternoon I was 'asked to leave' and not welcome back on site.

I'm not surprised you were asked to leave,you should have made it clear to the manager at the start of your contract that you would be carrying out an inspection for safety and obtained his authorisation. Otherwise you come across as a clipboard wielding busy-body.

Short contract.

I am suprised you were not frog marched off site, they could have well phoned the police, did you obtain permission to take pictures of their property, people in glass houses do not throw stones.

I am going to stick my neck out on your behalf,SIIVION. Many times during my career,i have observed things,"not in my remit",and have chose to bring them to the attention of those who should care. It might be having two nosey journalist parent,it might even be a mild philanthropic thought. On some occasions i have been derided,sometimes deservedly. On a few i have been thanked. On two,i almost certainly prevented a fatality. The comments regarding your legitimacy and authority are possibly true,but if what you did felt like the RIGHT thing to do,and you can sleep at night,don't worry. This reminds me of a popular public information advert,years back,which stated "Crime,together we'll crack it..." On one occasion,i did "involve" myself to assist a victim of crime,it cost me time from work,some extra curricular security worries,and the threat of being charged with ABH and kidnapping.....marvelous...was it any of my business? Definitely not. Am i glad i did? For certain. :bobby:

I am going to stick my neck out on your behalf,SIIVION. Many times during my career,i have observed things,"not in my remit",and have chose to bring them to the attention of those who should care. It might be having two nosey journalist parent,it might even be a mild philanthropic thought. On some occasions i have been derided,sometimes deservedly. On a few i have been thanked. On two,i almost certainly prevented a fatality. The comments regarding your legitimacy and authority are possibly true,but if what you did felt like the RIGHT thing to do,and you can sleep at night,don't worry. This reminds me of a popular public information advert,years back,which stated "Crime,together we'll crack it..." On one occasion,i did "involve" myself to assist a victim of crime,it cost me time from work,some extra curricular security worries,and the threat of being charged with ABH and kidnapping.....marvelous...was it any of my business? Definitely not. Am i glad i did? For certain. :bobby:

Not questioning the motives,just the means of carrying them out.

Can certainly see both sides of the argument,and if i am brutally honest,i may have done similar to the OP,only difference is i would NOT discuss or reveal on a forum. Could be the implications of todays historical significance,but remember,for evil to triumph,all that is required,is for good men to do nothing....here endeth the lesson...:patriot: ..Ohh,and the only other phrase that seems applicable is "No chicken has ever escaped from Tweedies farm..." :conehead:

FWIW, we visit mostly industrial sites.
Most have a mandatory induction and frequent toolbox talks.
As part of that, we are told to report anything that might constitute a hazard.

As a professional, it would be irresponsible not to.

But do you take pictures, post them on an open Internet forum and then announce that you reported them to the HSE on that open forum?

Or do you just report it to whoever you need to, possibly HSE if no one else listens and keep it private?

But do you take pictures, post them on an open Internet forum and then announce that you reported them to the HSE on that open forum?

Or do you just report it to whoever you need to, possibly HSE if no one else listens and keep it private?

Good points.
No, I wouldn't post them on an open forum. I think that's wrong. Morally wrong and possibly legally wrong.

But I also thing failing to point out potential hazards is also morally wrong.
In our works I am the person ultimately responsible for electrical safety. I get equipment taken out of service, even if I have to do so myself, if I think it poses a potential risk.

I think in the case of the OP, a better course of action would have been to write a polite to the company owner pointing out the hazards and that he would have an obligation to report those hazards.

Perhaps even an offer that he would help fix the problems.

Better than being antagonistic,

Having been a production manager in the food industry I will tell you now, your feet wouldn’t touch the ground on the way to the door had any of the workforce seen you.

Had you been seen with a camera or phone then the police would be called.

We had a name for agency workers “wooden tops”. They only keep going in the right direction if you constantly whip them.

I would also have made a list and presented them with it. Also, thinking about it, if they threw me off site for doing so I probably would plaster the photos on a few electrical forums ;).

FWIW, we visit mostly industrial sites.
Most have a mandatory induction and frequent toolbox talks.
As part of that, we are told to report anything that might constitute a hazard.

As a professional, it would be irresponsible not to.

exactly our job aside from being sparks is protecting people from known hazards.
only a cheap git with something to hide would ignore your inspection!

Reply to Horror Pictures in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net