Discuss How bizarre. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

westward10

Staff member
Admin
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
This is bizarre, my girlfriend said stick the kettle and as I did I thought this Haden kettle (purchased because made in the UK) had lasted at least two years. Boiled for a minute or so then the electric went off, I thought great power cut. After 15 minutes she said has something tripped and I thought hadn't thought of that and sure enough mcb and rcd off, reset and the kettle banged them both off. I said how much of a coincidence is that, she said, what you thought the kettle had lasted well and went bang or that I realised it wasn't a power cut.😣😣

I don't even drink tea or coffee. The wonder of Amazon a new one coming tomorrow!!

We seem to go through a kettle a year no matter what brand bought. Going to have to cut down on the tea
I had a Russell Hobs "Millennium" kettle from around then and it lasted about 15 years. Since then all some to use those rubbish round connectors that burn out, or more recently I find the thermostat fails in such a way it just keeps boiling and steams up the room if I don't notice.

Had fancy Italian design (but mad in China as all seem to be) that did that for the princely sum of around £60, and since then have stuck to Tesco own-brand for £15 or so as they last as long and boil just as well.

Not had any trip protection yet, but my oven trips the RCBO about twice a year on switching off.

You lot have hard water down south?
I wonder if that affects lifetime of kettles?

Been in this house 15 years and only on second kettle. (3rd if you include a small spare one that we needed to use inbetween for a few days)

Wylex rcd just on sockets and cooker and has never tripped on fault. Only when I use the test button, and a couple of times with my actual tester after I had done some work.

Well I dug out my 30 year old Prestige cooker top kettle, whistle as well. I jokingly said the tea will taste better from that and she just said it does actually taste better. Both kettles are metal but my old one is stainless with a copper base which must either not taint the water or 'improves' it.

When we moved in here 20 years ago we got Dualit kettle and toaster, at the time made in the UK. The kettle lasted 13 years but the toaster which is used everyday is still going, it is a plus that the elements are replaceable if and when they go.

Never known one of these to cause a trip, and if desperate can put it on a camp fire.
O8.jpg

Reply to How bizarre. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net