Discuss how much do you reckon this will roughly cost...? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

if you got the cash im sure theres plenty got the time, if you know what you want get few quotes and agree a payment plan for stages complete

I would be very wary of taking this on, in fact just from the description you've given I'd avoid it like the plague.
How do you know the people doing the chasing and pulling cables were decorators, in what way are they "junior" and what kind of supervision do you think they need? Yours?
You say you've paid them "some" money and got rid of them. How would I know that you wouldn't pay me "some" money and get rid of me?
Taking on a half finished job can be a nightmare at the best of times, never mind having to do it to someone else's quote, being expected to be standing around on site all the time even if there's nothing to do, and having the customer going around telling trades what they can and can't do with presumably little experience of the building trade.
Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear.

Ok, understandably sceptic so here's to clarify - these guys admit they are decorators and nothing more- they don't for instance know the difference between a spur and a switch, or between fire rated down lighters and other down lighters, they look at my blankly when I say split RCDs, or 1 gang 2 way. I'm no electrician and I certainly don't want to supervise at all if given the choice, and appointed an electrician who was NICEIC qualified specifically to have that peace of mind. Unfortunately not so.

to be honest most of the people on here would say that after hearing who had put the cables in they would not want to finish off there work,how do we know what they have done to the cables for instance may of had short cables and botched it under floors etc,i do not think i would be happy to carry on with it,but some might,have you got in contact with the niceic with your problems.

Ok, understandably sceptic so here's to clarify - these guys admit they are decorators and nothing more- they don't for instance know the difference between a spur and a switch, or between fire rated down lighters and other down lighters, they look at my blankly when I say split RCDs, or 1 gang 2 way. I'm no electrician and I certainly don't want to supervise at all if given the choice, and appointed an electrician who was NICEIC qualified specifically to have that peace of mind. Unfortunately not so.
I dont know if a qualified electrician would want to sign off work of others especially if the original ones were as incompetant as you say they are and they would not have supervised the job from the start which they are required to do under the building controll scheme rules.I would try and get an electrician to requote on the complete works,check his niceic or other scheme providers status before he starts(all the scheme providers are equal so elecsa nappitt etc as good).
If the previous contractor was registered with the niceic then you should have contacted them if you were concerned as i would imagine any money you have spent has been wasted.
You should appoint a decent contractor then leave him alone to carry out the works,if they are not done to the correct standard then you would be covered by the warranty which his scheme provider will charge him for on your behalf when he signs the work off

You don't necessarily need to be 'electrically competent' to chop out boxes, drill holes and do the 'monkey work' although I might be a bit concerned about how the cables had been run in if I didn't know the people who had done it.
If you've got rid of the electrician and especially if you've short changed him you might have a job getting hold of his plans, particularly if they're in his head.

never mind..nobody will respond sensibly anyway...

After reading through this thread, i think everyone has given you honest answers and made valid points as to what to do and why.

Due to the restrictions of all the scheme providers, even if someone was willing to finish the installation, he would still not be able to sign off work he hasnt done, UNLESS all cable routes are exposed for inspection throughout its entirety.

Im sure you would rather people were honest with you, unlike your previous contractor?

It's pointless deleting the op if somebody's already quoted it in post #6. Just makes the thread hard work for others to read. :(
Post 6 quotes post 4.
The original post was about someone getting a rewire done but the sparky hadn't been there for over a week and had "junior decorators" doing the 1st fix which customer has an issue with because they don't seem to know the ins and out of exactly what's going on (eg board configuration, what's a switch and what's a spur etc). Apparently they cut out holes for downlighters which the customer had asked them not to because he/she wanted the sparky to do it and now wasn't sure they were all in line.
Sparky has been given "some money" and "got rid of" and now customer is looking for someone to finish off.

Sorry if people are finding the thread difficult to read but I figured nobody would give a sensible response with respect to pricing (which was my question and initial post). Instead responses have been whether or not it's potentially a job people would be Willing and able to take on (honest answers are appreciated in this respect). so Given that's where the discussions have steered to, that was why I deleted details of the work scope. Oh and by the way, lots and lots of visible cables and no plasterboard to ceilings, the house is butchered to a very hole-y state, despite having no chip board...

In terms of price it would be impossible to say without actually seeing it - from what you say it's a complete nightmare, but on the other hand they may have done a fairly standard 1st fix.

after reading the pm it appears that the cables to the down lights are in place and there but as yet none are terminated. no other works have been started or completed on the rewire and no consumer unit changes as yet. maybe if you could pop a couple of pics on and a description of works required someone may well want to pop round and see you regarding the works if you want to pop a rough location on (not full address).

I am hoping to quote on one similar in a City near me.

I will be looking at what work has been done and more importantly why the previous spark has been booted.

If I take the job I will insist on a large deposit as cannot trust customer who has booted first spark.

If cables/existing work not satisfactory I will quote to replace/rectify.

If your near Suffolk I would be happy to take a look at yours, It cannot even be guessed at on a forum as there are too many variables.

By the way NovusSparku you should stop insinuating that I ripped the guy off because I paid a v large % sum upfront which a lot of customers don't do, and I gave plenty of warnings to the guy to turn up to supervise which went compeltely ignored. my first re-quote today said I have over paid, but I just wanted the non trustworthy electrician out of the way. But that is why I posted the thread asking roughly how much it might cost to t rectify damage. Again, never mind I asked

We are only hearing one side of the story.
I would not trust you, obviously something went wrong in the customer client relationship and we will only ever hear your side.
I am not insinuating anything, I just would never 100% trust you.
I am with NS on his thoughts.

Reply to how much do you reckon this will roughly cost...? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net