Discuss How not to install some outdoor lights! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
I am in town where I live by the abbey and come across this shoddy attempt by a shopkeeper to install some outdoor lights so he can light up where he puts his outdoor displays... im not sure this is what the Big yellow book had in mind when it explains temporary or outdoor installations!
It seems the cables dont reach far enough so he cut the plugs off and joined the flex together and used the solution for all electrical dilemmas - insulation tape.
The worst bit is that due to a shortage of sockets or flex, he drilled a hole straight through the fire door from the shop / upstairs flats ( i know the building as i had a friend who rented a flat next door once) and ran flex through middle, so if you now open the fire door it will either get stuck half way due to the cable, or worse still rip it apart possibly exposing live cables!
You do wonder what thought processes some people go through to think this ---- poor attempt is suitable or safe!
You could list many a fault or safety issue with this... I doubt he will have it up too long as the council jobsworths are quite on the ball around the abbey area as it has to look just right for the cash spending tourists and their photos! so expect the enforcement team to be visiting him in the week
20171231_134443.jpg 20171231_134446.jpg 20171231_134450.jpg 20171231_134457.jpg

I am in town where I live by the abbey and come across this shoddy attempt by a shopkeeper to install some outdoor lights so he can light up where he puts his outdoor displays... im not sure this is what the Big yellow book had in mind when it explains temporary or outdoor installations!
It seems the cables dont reach far enough so he cut the plugs off and joined the flex together and used the solution for all electrical dilemmas - insulation tape.
The worst bit is that due to a shortage of sockets or flex, he drilled a hole straight through the fire door from the shop / upstairs flats ( i know the building as i had a friend who rented a flat next door once) and ran flex through middle, so if you now open the fire door it will either get stuck half way due to the cable, or worse still rip it apart possibly exposing live cables!
You do wonder what thought processes some people go through to think this **** poor attempt is suitable or safe!
You could list many a fault or safety issue with this... I doubt he will have it up too long as the council jobsworths are quite on the ball around the abbey area as it has to look just right for the cash spending tourists and their photos! so expect the enforcement team to be visiting him in the week
View attachment 40013 View attachment 40014 View attachment 40015 View attachment 40016
Now that Bloke really is a Twonk, that wouldn't be Wells would it? you mention Abbey but Wells is a Cathedral, would welcome an answer.

Now that Bloke really is a Twonk, that wouldn't be Wells would it? you mention Abbey but Wells is a Cathedral, would welcome an answer.
No close, Its around the back of Bath Abbey by the court yard behind Roman Baths.
Wells Cathedral is stunning, i am lucky to know a stonemason who does a lot of work down there and have been given an amazing tour of the place in places you dont normally get to see.

No close, Its around the back of Bath Abbey by the court yard behind Roman Baths.
Wells Cathedral is stunning, i am lucky to know a stonemason who does a lot of work down there and have been given an amazing tour of the place in places you dont normally get to see.
Ah right I get where you are now, many a happy evening spent there walking my then Fiance now wife to the Bus Station, sorry to have had to leave that wonderful City, still needs must, return very infrequently, must have changed since my youthful days.

Ah right I get where you are now, many a happy evening spent there walking my then Fiance now wife to the Bus Station, sorry to have had to leave that wonderful City, still needs must, return very infrequently, must have changed since my youthful days.
Changed quite a bit at bottom end of town, if you look on google maps street view by bus and train station its all opened up and modern now, they knocked the shopping precinct down and rebuilt with huge underground multi storey car park. the old stuff is exactly the same though,

Changed quite a bit at bottom end of town, if you look on google maps street view by bus and train station its all opened up and modern now, they knocked the shopping precinct down and rebuilt with huge underground multi storey car park. the old stuff is exactly the same though,
Yes did use the new Bus Station once, not the same as I remember

Pete are you sure this isn't some of your youthful handiwork until you knew better:p
Listen Twonk, I was Sparking when you were still in nappies, so stop questioning my early sparky accomplishments:mad::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes: You know I'm only funning with you, I hope.

That is shocking ............. but to whom would you complain?

It looks like its directly over a public pavement!
It would be council in first instance as its dangerous to public, possible building control issues and permission for outdoor retail lighting is needed in Bath, also as its going through door their is likely fire safety issues so possibly fire safety officers at fire brigade. the list goes on..

It would be council in first instance as its dangerous to public, possible building control issues and permission for outdoor retail lighting is needed in Bath, also as its going through door their is likely fire safety issues so possibly fire safety officers at fire brigade. the list goes on..
A sad reflection on the retail trade, still you're there Gavin to put them in their place.

There is a good website here,
FixMyStreet - https://www.fixmystreet.com/

you can report all manner of things like fly tipping, potholes, streetlights out etc.

Reply to How not to install some outdoor lights! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net