Discuss How to report a bad electrician??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Joe S

-
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right section??

I have just finished fixing a job that another electrician first started back late last year. Basically in a shortened version: A customer asked a British Gas Sub-contracted electrician to price for a Consumer Upgrade, which he did (and I have a copy of the estimate). He then came with his 'step daughter in-law' to do the works which also involved adding 4no Double Sockets, 1no Single Socket and a S.F Connection unit for Kitchen Lights. It then came to the end of the day when he turned round and said there is a fault on the ring main, I've wired it up so it won't trip and I'll come back to sort it out. He then got paid and has since, never been back! He ignores calls from the customer and so forth. I then got asked to go and have a look as they have had enough and want it sorted. I went as I was recommended to them by a previous customer. I found and rectified the fault as best as I can. It is not ideal but is now safe and protected by the RCD! I have urged them to have a full rewire at the soonest possible time. I also upgraded the bonding to the main gas and water pipes as they weren't up to scratch. I have logged my part with the BRCS and have provided a certificate where I have stated what I have done and what needs doing.

This really annoys me as I seem to be coming across this more and more of late and would like to know where to go if we wanted to log a complaint? I've tried the NIC and Chack a trade but they aren't on either.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Joe

Check the Competent Persons Register | Home database to see if they are on there.
If they are then go to the provider they registered with
If they are not go to LABC and Trading Standards and let them deal with it - they might not do anything - apart from tell the home owner to have it tested so it can be signed off.

I have come across this a few times with both registered and unregistered electricians - not much gets done about it down here mind

Check the Competent Persons Register | Home database to see if they are on there.
If they are then go to the provider they registered with
If they are not go to LABC and Trading Standards and let them deal with it - they might not do anything - apart from tell the home owner to have it tested so it can be signed off.

I have come across this a few times with both registered and unregistered electricians - not much gets done about it down here mind

They don't appear to be on the register mate but thanks for the link, I'll keep hold of that one!

Daft question was he registered with any one

They couldn't say but his estimate is just plain A4! They're not with the NIC though as I checked.

you could be happy your fixing his work ....

I would be if I could be sure that would be the end of the problems but this appears to be a house of horrors anyway :(

Or Trading Standards, either or :)

That's what I keep thinking mate

It's wrong though there should be some governing body some were who takes these killers to task

Not well enough policed unfortunately. I'm amazed at what some people deem ok. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I'd done half the stuff I come across!!

Just to let you know the competent person is a database of all the providers - NIC, NAPIT, ECA, BSI, etc, etc, etc
Everyone who is registered will be on that database

It dont surprise me that this person is not an electrician (not registered)

Call TS and LABC to let them know that this guy is around (they might already know)

They will deal with him at their own pace - the quote that he gave will be enough evidence to say he is doing work - he made a big mistake there - they never put their name to anything not even a quote!

You have to prove he did the work so a certificate, invoice, sticker on CU with his name on it, etc but a quote is not enough

Good luck

Just to let you know the competent person is a database of all the providers - NIC, NAPIT, ECA, BSI, etc, etc, etc
Everyone who is registered will be on that database

It dont surprise me that this person is not an electrician (not registered)

Call TS and LABC to let them know that this guy is around (they might already know)

They will deal with him at their own pace - the quote that he gave will be enough evidence to say he is doing work - he made a big mistake there - they never put their name to anything not even a quote!

You have to prove he did the work so a certificate, invoice, sticker on CU with his name on it, etc but a quote is not enough

Good luck

The only sticker on the board was the rcd instructions! I put the two colour warning sticker on today and labelled the board up for the customer. The customer did try calling them today while I was there and they answered. As soon as the customer mentioned I was there he couldn't get off the phone quick enough!! Now won't answer again, now there's a surprise!

I'll start with the two bodies you mention mate, cheers.

He's done what he quoted them for (put a new board on). The work hes actually done is not necessarily bad and he's left the house safer than he found it.
Ok so he's not done it exactly how its supposed to be done and its not something I'd do but I also wouldnt get upset about someone else doing this and go to great lengths to grass them up. If trading standards were to actually take action against this guy just because one of his competetors didn't agree with his methods I'd be very surprised.

Calling him a killer is a little dramatic is it not?

Although I agree that there should be some governing body with teeth to police the trade. I can't see it happening soon.

Now it gets controversial

Reading a lot of posts is this type of thing not encouraged by replying to the posts from DIYers. Winding them up and letting them go.

I look forward to a lively debate.

Although I agree that there should be some governing body with teeth to police the trade. I can't see it happening soon.

Now it gets controversial

Reading a lot of posts is this type of thing not encouraged by replying to the posts from DIYers. Winding them up and letting them go.

I look forward to a lively debate.
What's this got to do with DIYers?

Reply to How to report a bad electrician??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock