Discuss Identifying wires on three-way switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

wjgrayson

DIY
Reaction score
FYI --- This is a U.S. installation. I'm replacing a three way switch (the UK might more sensibly call it a two way switch??) with a Kasa Smart Switch. See the picture. I'm trying to identify the line (power) and two traveler wires, and this particular switch doesn't look what I've normally seen from other pictures and diagrams I've been researching. Be advised this smart switch doesn't have a ground attached, but there is a bundle of exposed copper wires in the electrical box. There is also a bundle of gray (not white) wires in the elecrical box I will assume are neutral wires. Questions:

1. There is a red wire, and beneath it a black wire. Are those the traveler wires?
  2. There is a black wire that is underneath the copper ground wire screw. Is this the line/ power wire?
  3. Also, I assume this is a quick release wire switch setup. There's probably a little notch somewhere on this switch where I can remove the wires?
Thank you.

1696095724400.png

You say one black goes to ground and there are only two wires connected to the switch if so this doesn't indicate three way switching. On a three way switch the black screw is common, the two brass screws are travelers.

You say one black goes to ground and there are only two wires connected to the switch if so this doesn't indicate three way switching. On a three way switch the black screw is common, the two brass screws are travelers.
Sorry, my description wasn't clear, and neither is the picture. There is a copper screw on the right side. You can't see from the angle of the photo, but underneath (not attached to) the copper wire there is a hole where the black wire is inserted. The only screw on this switch is the copper one ---- there are no other screws on it.

If it helps to figure this out, not pictured here is a regular dumb switch that's next to it. It only has two wires that go into it. No Neutral. No copper / ground attached either. Both of these switches seem to be the quick release type. As mentioned, I've never seen switches that look like this!

Yes the wires are connected into the stab connections and not around the screws. So there are three wires into these stab connections and not one to ground which should be the green screw.
Move the switch and show a better pic.

FYI --- This is a U.S. installation. I'm replacing a three way switch (the UK might more sensibly call it a two way switch??) with a Kasa Smart Switch. See the picture. I'm trying to identify the line (power) and two traveler wires, and this particular switch doesn't look what I've normally seen from other pictures and diagrams I've been researching. Be advised this smart switch doesn't have a ground attached, but there is a bundle of exposed copper wires in the electrical box. There is also a bundle of gray (not white) wires in the elecrical box I will assume are neutral wires. Questions:

1. There is a red wire, and beneath it a black wire. Are those the traveler wires?
  2. There is a black wire that is underneath the copper ground wire screw. Is this the line/ power wire?
  3. Also, I assume this is a quick release wire switch setup. There's probably a little notch somewhere on this switch where I can remove the wires?
Thank you.

View attachment 110818
As westward10 stated the red wire is using the back stab and there is no release so the wire has to be cut. Back stabs should be outlawed for the reason of creating a lot of problems. Normally on a 3 way switch you will have a 3 conductor cable with a ground and usually the red is the traveler.

Reply to Identifying wires on three-way switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net