Discuss Insulation Resistance Test for FICA in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rob1993

Hi guys sorry for posting as I know there is a lot of posts similar to this.

my problem Is for my trade test I am a little confused about insulation resistance test. I know most of it for example

lock off at main switch
remove all sensitive equipment
test between live-neutral live-earth earth-neutral
make sure results are okay.

the things im not sure of are when testing the whole board and it has RCBO's In it do I leave all RCBO's on and just disconnect earth and neutral links and test at main switch?

if testing individual circuit do I switch RCBO off and then again disconnect earth and neutral links and test at outgoing of RCBO? or do I also need to disconnect the wiring of the circuit?

I have also heard people speaking about disconnecting the main neutral why would this be needed?

thanks for any help.

yeah so either way I need to disconnect the earth and neutral links! but when testing individual circuit do I need to take out the wiring from the RCBO?

okay so your saying to take out the cabling from the RCBO's when doing the test?

I remember at college being told to do a global test even with RCBO's just cant remember what needed disconnected

With a RCBO board, if you do this

a. You will get very odd unreliable readings

b. You may ruin the RCBO's

c. Decline to do it for the 2 reasons above

Unless you are just doing a quick installation check, a global IR test is pretty pointless these days!! I'd want to see IR test values for each circuit recorded on any official test certificate, not a pointless global IR value that basically tells you little and is useless as an indicator of say, a particular circuits deteriorating insulation circumstances over a period of time, that can otherwise be clearly seen when comparing previous circuit test certificate values!!

Reply to Insulation Resistance Test for FICA in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net