Discuss interview skills in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

robbalaar86

First off sorry if this is in the wrong subject field.

Basically I want your thoughts on interview techniques. I have had a few recently which means my c.v and covering letters are doing their jobs. However I seem to be falling at the final stretch.

I personally try to come across as knowing my stuff but not trying to be too confident. My last interview said I came across really well but lacked some confidence.

So what is the answer guys? Do you go in and talk yourself up? Or do you be honest and tell them your strengths but admit your weaknesses?

I have an interview on Wednesday for a factory that wants me to join their electrical engineering team as an apprentice. I've completed my electrical installations apprenticeship. So would this be a good route?

To sum up my long winded post:

What are your tips for a good interview technique?

Is the electrical engineering apprenticeship a good route?

Cheers guys

Last edited by a moderator:
I`ve done a fair bit of interviewing in the past and I have found that there are a number of ways that a potential employee can talk him/herself out of a job offer.

I wont insult your intelligence with the dress smartly type answers but what I would say is do as much research into the business, where its been and more importantly where its going. This shows that you are not a walk in from the dole queue and have an interest. Given your chosen field it also shows an attention to detail which is vitally important.

Many interviewers use the "what are your weak points" type question. This floors 90% of people. Once someone said to me in response to that same question. " Im a hopeless timekeeper and I find it very hard to get out of bed in the morning" another said " I fall out with people alot" It is however a golden opportunity to shine if you handle it correctly. You need to turn the question around a bit. Something like " I occasionally feel the need to ask questions, sometimes they might sound a bit silly to a more experienced person, but I have found that if I ask those questions, especially at the beginning, it gives me a real solid understanding of what I am doing and allows me to build on that foundation so I can thoroughly understand the subject"

Lastly, you are being interviewed , very possibly, by people who are older than you. They will be thinking that they may need to spend a lot of time with you so they want an interesting person to talk to. Try to introduce a little humour and big up your extra curricula activities a bit. Show them your a team player outside the factory floor.

Thanks taffy appreciate that response. It's always the weakness question that stumps me I never say anything like that but I always umm and arr before answering which shows indecisiveness I suppose.

I will try and be a little more forthcoming with humour and a bit more chatty with the chaps doing the interview.

I always try and research before I go in my last one I spent hours looking and writing it down.

Thanks for the advice and I will be taking that on board for Wednesday

Good luck, let us know how you get on. One variation of the weakness question is " Why should we not give you the job" same question really, turn it to your advantage

Honesty is not always the best policy.

"Why should we not give you the job?"

I will rarely turn up on time and will probably be p1ssed, I steal stuff from work, and am a sex-pest!

One thing is when they ask questions about a particular aspect of the job do not just respond with the answer but also provide some background examples.
E.g. you are faced with a difficult customer how do you respond?
I will always remain calm and explain the situation clearly, when I was working at yyyy I had a one customer who was very upset but once I had demonstrated the regulations that applied to fitting the safety system he calmed down and accepted that I was correct.
I always feel that good and clear communication in all areas ensures that there few problems arise.

That's a good point Richard now you mention it I have missed a trick with that on a few occasions and its something I should have thought about.

1. So you need to put on jeans and an old tee shirt. make sure you dont wear good shoes, dirty trainers will do.
2. Dont comb your hair as it will get messed up in the wind anyway.
3. Dont bother showing up for the interview early as employers cant stand that these days. Make them wait for at least 15 mins or so to give them time for another coffee.
4. When you decide to get into the room turn the seat round and sit astride it. this makes you look confident and will frighten the employer into giving you the job.
5. Dont shake hands as germs spread easily
6. Dont introduce yourself, let them come to you!
7. Any questions that they ask should be answered with a grunt or sigh. Questions are a waste of time and energy!
8. If they ask if you have any issues about getting up a 6am to be on site for 8am, try and negotiate for a later start. It is always good practice to let them know that you will not be their door mat. Tell them that 8am is unacceptable but you'd consider 11am.
9. if they ask about previous employment you can be truthfull. Tell them that its none of their business and it makes no difference to this position.
10. When you leave, on no account thank them for the interview. You will be seen as a wet blanket and there will be no way that you get the job offer.

(isnt this the modern attitude to interviews these days?)

Markythesparky

I think you have read to OP wrong. The job is not for a jod as a banker, it is for an electrical apprenticeship.

I was a head of property in local government for 25 years.

Simple fact is in an interview most interviewers have formed an opinion of you within 2 minutes or less of you walking in the door.

You need to know your stuff but also those interviewing you need to like you and want to work with you.

Keep conversations flowing but no B.S and if you don't know an answer say so but then add "but I know how to find out etc etc". Everyone has limits and they need to know you know yours will be safe and importantly want to learn.

Good firm handshake when you walk in look people in the eye and smile. Most want to work with someone "nice".

Anyone who doesn't admit that the first 2 minutes are the most important are sadly deluded even with all the political correctness around.

Lastly have something interesting to say about you, what you do hobbies etc etc.

Google the organisation find out what it's about even the people interviewing you if you can.

Good luck.

PEM

1. So you need to put on jeans and an old tee shirt. make sure you dont wear good shoes, dirty trainers will do.
2. Dont comb your hair as it will get messed up in the wind anyway.
3. Dont bother showing up for the interview early as employers cant stand that these days. Make them wait for at least 15 mins or so to give them time for another coffee.
4. When you decide to get into the room turn the seat round and sit astride it. this makes you look confident and will frighten the employer into giving you the job.
5. Dont shake hands as germs spread easily
6. Dont introduce yourself, let them come to you!
7. Any questions that they ask should be answered with a grunt or sigh. Questions are a waste of time and energy!
8. If they ask if you have any issues about getting up a 6am to be on site for 8am, try and negotiate for a later start. It is always good practice to let them know that you will not be their door mat. Tell them that 8am is unacceptable but you'd consider 11am.
9. if they ask about previous employment you can be truthfull. Tell them that its none of their business and it makes no difference to this position.
10. When you leave, on no account thank them for the interview. You will be seen as a wet blanket and there will be no way that you get the job offer.

(isnt this the modern attitude to interviews these days?)

Haha not mine mark. I always wear a suit. Hate wearing them but an interview and funeral needs must.

I was a head of property in local government for 25 years.

Simple fact is in an interview most interviewers have formed an opinion of you within 2 minutes or less of you walking in the door.

You need to know your stuff but also those interviewing you need to like you and want to work with you.

Keep conversations flowing but no B.S and if you don't know an answer say so but then add "but I know how to find out etc etc". Everyone has limits and they need to know you know yours will be safe and importantly want to learn.

Good firm handshake when you walk in look people in the eye and smile. Most want to work with someone "nice".

Anyone who doesn't admit that the first 2 minutes are the most important are sadly deluded even with all the political correctness around.

Lastly have something interesting to say about you, what you do hobbies etc etc.

Google the organisation find out what it's about even the people interviewing you if you can.

Good luck.

PEM
Thanks PEM

I will do just that I always try and shake hands. I think I lack a bit of confidence. I know a bloke shouldn't but I'm trying to improve.
Thanks for the advice

Reply to interview skills in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net