Discuss IR test method 2 in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

it is acceptable when by performing method 1, you might damage equipment which you are unable to disconnect. e.g on a PIR/ for a new install, on initial verification, you would always use method 1, as in that case there would be no loads connected at the time of testing.

Last edited:
sorry i dont understand that? i thought method 2 was used when it was nearly inpossible to dissconnect some equiptment eg bulbs and trannys also neaons??? can u leave them in and use method to to bypass the equiptment?

suppose you had a load of high bay lights 25 ft. up in the air. would the client pay for the hire of a cherry picker and the time to remove the loads for you to test?

yes it does. because you are shorting out L/N and testing from there to E. therefore, you are not applying the test voltage across the load.

ahh thnk u i understand now!! so say u get a reading of 0.00 using method 2 then there is for sure a fault with the cct, as the loads have been bypassed

definitely. some appliances e.g. computers have high earth leakage currents, but only around 3-4mA, so would still give you a reading L/E of around 80kohms at250v.

as near as you can get. Remember to check your leads are OK before doing the test as you could think you are performing the test when actually you are just getting eroneous (spelling) readings.

Reply to IR test method 2 in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

In my line of work it's very rare that I ever have to change a DB. I'm largely in maintenance; occasionally have to add new circuits etc. so in...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I saw in the hospital every circuit has 2 separate cpc, same size, sometimes different. I'm wondering. How we can do the dead...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. Hopefully someone can help with a little mystery i had today. The issue is fixed but I want to understand what was going on to help...
Replies
Views
Just thinking about selling MFT's and single test equipment. The idea being I buy stuff from Ebay and sell it on ebay, which I am doing at the...
Replies
Views
Hi! Some help would be appreciated! I've just moved into new house, wanting to check insulation resestance etc as getting some nuisance...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock