Discuss Irish electricians working in England... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

beatrixtiff

Hi there, my names rob and am just new to the forum so hi all. Im from ireland but have lived in england for 10 years. I have recently completed my 4 year apprenticeship to a high a standard in the republic of ireland and plan to work in london for the next few years. Can anyone give me some advice on what to do, or am I already qualified to work in england?

look forward to any replies that might help me out...thanks.;)

It depends on who you work for and what they will accept. If you havent got it already the C&G 2382 17th edition will be needed in most cases.

Good luck

Chris

hi rob,i am irish too,worked in england for 6 years,no problem,once your qualified to 17th edition,some companies want you to be jib approved,mostly the bigger companies.If you want their approval,you need to contact them and they will send you the forms,of course they want a few quid too!If you need a few numbers down london way i might be able to help.
good luck

Cheers tridant, thats nice of ya. Im actually working in melbourne australia at the moment but will be moving to london by new year so may well be in touch.
Did you have to do the city and guilds 17th edition course? Im qualified 2 years in Eire, so will i have to do the course or will i be covered? :confused:
I wanna get the jib as i'd like to work for myself in the future...

Hey rob,
no problem,yeah if thats what you want go for the jib.No i was 16th addition and just had my Irish qualifications,worked Sydney for a year,bet your enjoying the sun!!!Yeah pal,just get in touch when or if you need some numbers.I am in Norway at the moment,was building oil rigs but that has come to an end now,so looking for work myself at the mo,may be looking for contacts off you soon!!!anyway stick with it pal and good luck,they rate us irish sparks in England,you should be cool mate.

Yeah no probs man, its gonna be winter here soon so not much sun left im afraid. thats what WA and queensland are for;).
Yeah hoping it should be handy getting set up working in london but thats why im sussing it out now instead of arriving there and realising i have to do loads of courses before i can get working....

you will need the testing and inspection pass pal,and the 17th edition for starting your own company.Dont go p.a.y.e go self employed,you will double your weekly income,think you need a cis card which you get easily from the tax office,then just sub yourself out to companies.Let me know how it goes and if oz needs a good sparks and you can put in the word,let me know bud,irish boys all in,ha ha.good luck fella,the companies i will give you are sound and pay up on time,every time

Thanks pal, seems like a pretty friendly/helpful forum. Also seems like alot of unqualified electricians too which is kinda worrying....:eek:

Hi there, my names rob and am just new to the forum so hi all. Im from ireland but have lived in england for 10 years. I have recently completed my 4 year apprenticeship to a high a standard in the republic of ireland and plan to work in london for the next few years. Can anyone give me some advice on what to do, or am I already qualified to work in england?

look forward to any replies that might help me out...thanks.;)

Hi Rob, just so long as you've got your 17th, I can't see how you will have any worries - same as Kiwis and Aussies don't. Try giving the JIB a call and see what they can do for you, or advise. From my own experience of dealing with foreign trained sparkies - from english speaking countries, anyway. They have all been very intelligent and knowledgeable lads. But at the end of the daymate, if the JIB will grade one legged, illiterate polish immigrants; then I don't think that you will have any problems.

If your gonna go self employed then I wouldnt bother with the JiB, Ive never been asked by any householder yet to see my quals or JiB card theyre only for the proper big companies happy to pay you a real wage, Even with a JiB Card its unlikely that any site nowadays actually pays JiB rates but insist you have a card its a joke!!
Only pay for Tradesman Insurance if your working as a legit tradesman in properties otherwise if your subcontracting via job agencies then the third party pay company that takes a cut erm....cough cough i mean pays your wages will take around £20 per week for the privelage and usually includes Public Liability Insurance whilst you on site only-working for your agency!
Good Luck.
Oh and if you dont have your NVQ 3/ AM2/ Level 2&3 2330 techcert/ 17th edition then you have no chance of getting a JiB Sparks card.

Reply to Irish electricians working in England... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net