Discuss Is this acceptable? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Idzanagi

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am doing some renovation on my house and decided to replace my sockets.
I have 2x 4mm2 wires and thinking to crimp them together for better connection and after screw it into the terminal. Is this acceptable?

Attachments

• IMG_20211028_135952.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20211028_135853.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 40
No. It makes testing difficult especially within fault finding scenario. You would have to break them apart. Crimping solid cables is usually regarded as poor/bad practice except in very speciic situations. Crimping is usually reserved for stranded cables. Check the manufacturers instructions regards the use of your brand of crimps/ers. Ah just seen you have 4mm which is stranded but still makes testing difficult as you may have to separate them.

If 4mm this is maybe a radial circuit? So both ends would end up normal anyway for R1+R2 tests and no fig8 test.
The main question in my mind is (as stated) whether the manufacturer intends the bootlace ferrules to be used this way.

Thanks guys. Yes it's a radial circuit. It is 4mm stranded cable. My idea was to crimp them individually but that way it doesn't fit in the Knightsbridge screwless socket.

Personally I love crimping cables and that does look rather neat. As it is a radial and given it's a few sockets I withdraw any idea it would be difficult testing. It's just that I always sigh when going into older installation for EICR and find every cable at every socket is insanely twisted together and it is a pain untwisting them. Not only that it damages the cable and often there is not enough to cut back to re-terminate.

Yes and No

Fine stranded flex I like a nice bootlace crimp on the end when possible , unless its one of them terminals that you wrap the wire around

But on solid stranded and sold cores is just isn't necessary imo , solid cable is designed to be pinched underneath a brass screw

I don't see why not, it's what those ferrules are for and it will create a great connection. Definitely not standard practice but then i wouldn't necessarily go by 'standard practice' to ascertain what is good or not.

Will definitely do the job and do it well.

You should use twin entry ferrules if you are putting2 wires in the same crimp. Ensure the terminal is long enough that the screw fully grips it as the plastic part can prevent full entry. I quite often fit uninsulated ferrules to 7 strand conductors in distribution boards, protects the conductor from damage from connecting and disconnecting during testing, also ensures all the strands are solidly connected. Worked at an airport last year and all the sockets were wired in 4mm terminated with double ferrules.
db fer.jpg

You should use twin entry ferrules if you are putting2 wires in the same crimp. Ensure the terminal is long enough that the screw fully grips it as the plastic part can prevent full entry. I quite often fit uninsulated ferrules to 7 strand conductors in distribution boards, protects the conductor from damage from connecting and disconnecting during testing, also ensures all the strands are solidly connected. Worked at an airport last year and all the sockets were wired in 4mm terminated with double ferrules.
View attachment 91416
Neat !

Thanks guys, I will get some twin entry ferrules. I leave plenty of cable in case someone in the future has to separate them. I don't like the insulation on it as it stands out on the back and could not screw it to the box without bent on the socket so later on I did cut them off easily just with a normal cutter.
I made sure that all strands are fully connected.

Thank you for everyone.

Reply to Is this acceptable? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net